Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone direct me to a source for the fine thread M8x1.0 and M10x1.0 studs used on the rear end? I am servicing a '69 GT rear end, installing a LSD, and would like to freshen these studs as part of the service. Any knowledge as to the original material strength: grade 8 or 10? Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
I believe they are Grade 8. Most source used from other cases.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. Bel-metric doesn't have them, but I wasn't the first person to call and ask! They tell me that Alfa Romeo had them specially made. They are not standard per DIN 939, for example. Metric Screw and Tool also doesn't have 'em. Sigh. Any other ideas? Cheers,

·
Push hard and live
8,919 Posts
I would also estimate the standard Alfa studs were harder than grade 8.8. Much more likely 10-something or 12.9.

When I worked at an Alfa dealer in the 70s, I just ordered studs from the warehouse and had all I needed. I must wonder if such things can be gotten via the modern Alfa dealers, or possibly Afra? AFRA is woeful to deal with, but every now and again they have stock of truly NOS stuff that is in low demand, such as studs, or the end-plugs for Montreal camshafts. Never hurts to ask. What hurts is the subsequent transaction clumsiness.

As for modern dealers, I doubt there's an effective conversion from our old part numbers to whatever they are using now. What might work is looking up the exact dimensions and finding a dealer parts guy that'll let you patrol his catalogs looking for a match. I'd be shocked if we couldn't get a bunch of the 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm stuff that way.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
They tell me that Alfa Romeo had them specially made.
And who knows the design spec? Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
353 Posts
According to the Normalizzati catalog, 2100-05xxx studs were 5.8 class, and 2100-08xxx studs were 8.8 class.
Nothing exotic in material, but the coarse x fine combination is hard to find
I believe the studs may have been originally made to UNI 5913 - standard parts back in the day, but now fairly obsolete.

Joe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The part numbers should convert to FIAT part number, albeit an old number. However, a good parts guy can come up with the proper part.
Brian, thank you. Can you recommend a good parts guy? I am new to the Italian car world, usually work on the other side of the Swiss Alps. Cheers,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad news is that no one seems to have these studs. (Well, no response from Afra, so who knows what they have...) Good news is that I finally took the time to remove one each of the different studs, and they all have "normal" thread pitch on the case end: M8 x 1.25, and M10 x 1.50 for the axle tubes. Problem solved: will use normal pitch studs all round. Bel-metric has studs with the right length on the "short" end, ie, the end that threads into the case or brake backing plate.

Unless one of you tells me that there's a really really compelling reason for fine thread on the sticky-outy end... Thanks for all the ideas, cheers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts