Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,863 Posts
The accelerator shaft spring looks much like the one that is also on the carburetor cross-shaft that operates the two rods connecting to the carb throttles.

You might check with APE/Larry Dickman jr in Tracy, as I gave them the, fairly large, pile of 102 parts I had remaining. There's also a fellow, I think in the northeast, that bought a single, compartmented box of carb parts from me. I don't recall his name, but if you search my 102 parts for sale thread, you may find the discussion. I vaguely recall one, or more, of these springs being in that box.

At the same time, there is a spring that attaches to the pulling-arm on the right side of the same cross-shaft attached to the firewall. The spring connects to a tab on the firewall below the activating arm. While we all prefer a 100% complete car, you can operate with just the combination of the firewall spring and the spring controlling the cross shaft on the intake manifold.

·
Push hard and live
11,863 Posts
The way to understand these springs, and the needed tension, is by what they are doing.

Beginning at the front...

The spring at the forward end of the master shaft on the manifold is responsible for ensuring that your two primary throttle shafts are held in a closed position. The springs in the carbs aren't up to that task.

The long spring at the firewall end of the cable is to prevent slack in the cable.

The spring (the subject of this thread) at the left end of the cross shaft is to give a prompt return of the pedal.

Optimally, there would be a set stop at the forward end of the manifold shaft, at the firewall cable slack control, and the pedal return. Of these, I think only the firewall slack control has a set stop, with the front using the two carb idle speed screws and the pedal limited by the welded extension against the car structure. My memory is a little vague on the latter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts