Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm in re-assembly mode and discovered I don't have springs for the accelerator shaft (see picture) or for the brake and clutch pedals. Can't find them on Classic Alfa, OKP or AFRA. Brake and clutch pedal springs look pretty standard, but I've no idea how strong they should be. The accelerator shaft one (102.00.44.503.00) looks a bit more special.

Any ideas where to get these or good substitutes?

Thanks,
Andy
Rectangle Font Parallel Electrical wiring Handwriting

White Automotive lighting Font Auto part Circle

·
Registered
2600 Touring Spider
100 Posts
I had a similar problem while working on my 2600, needed to replace some springs (not these). I found Century Spring. They have a large selection of springs. I got several that appeared to be near what I needed and picked the best one. Type Century Spring in your browser and it will take you to their website.

·
Push hard and live
11,670 Posts
The accelerator shaft spring looks much like the one that is also on the carburetor cross-shaft that operates the two rods connecting to the carb throttles.

You might check with APE/Larry Dickman jr in Tracy, as I gave them the, fairly large, pile of 102 parts I had remaining. There's also a fellow, I think in the northeast, that bought a single, compartmented box of carb parts from me. I don't recall his name, but if you search my 102 parts for sale thread, you may find the discussion. I vaguely recall one, or more, of these springs being in that box.

At the same time, there is a spring that attaches to the pulling-arm on the right side of the same cross-shaft attached to the firewall. The spring connects to a tab on the firewall below the activating arm. While we all prefer a 100% complete car, you can operate with just the combination of the firewall spring and the spring controlling the cross shaft on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wood Tool Household hardware Font Metal
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Circle Metal
Andy
I’m the one that bought the carb parts from Don.There was one carb return spring but it’s not from a 102.Anyone guess what it’s from?And can anyone use it?
I have two springs that look like the ones that you need for the pedals,but I can’t sure without checking the ones on my car.I can get out to the garage this weekend to see
Bob

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good suggestions. A friend is holding a similar spring used on the Giulietta throttle shaft for me. I will need to pick it up and give it a try. But if I can't make that work it appears Century Spring makes hundreds of different torque springs. And Don is correct, I can just put a stronger spring at the other end of the shaft. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob, thanks for checking on these! No idea where that one is from. Does anyone have an actual picture of the shaft spring. I'd like to see what it really looks like. All I have is the drawing from the parts book.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy,
I’ll take a look at my 102 tomorrow and be in touch.
Richard
Hi Richard, I checked my pictures of your car from when Ro and I visited you and your car is missing this spring. I assume you haven't had trouble with your accelerator pedal returning?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Andy,
So I don’t have the spring? Ha! That’s what happens when the shop is 20 minutes distant and I guess.
Accel pedal returns just fine.
I’ll stop assuming and take a look, tomorrow.
Thanks. Richard

·
Push hard and live
11,670 Posts
The way to understand these springs, and the needed tension, is by what they are doing.

Beginning at the front...

The spring at the forward end of the master shaft on the manifold is responsible for ensuring that your two primary throttle shafts are held in a closed position. The springs in the carbs aren't up to that task.

The long spring at the firewall end of the cable is to prevent slack in the cable.

The spring (the subject of this thread) at the left end of the cross shaft is to give a prompt return of the pedal.

Optimally, there would be a set stop at the forward end of the manifold shaft, at the firewall cable slack control, and the pedal return. Of these, I think only the firewall slack control has a set stop, with the front using the two carb idle speed screws and the pedal limited by the welded extension against the car structure. My memory is a little vague on the latter.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I wonder if a BMW 2002 pedal return spring would work #4 in the diagram I have one at the shop that I could take a picture of later today

Accelerator pedal/rod assy

Sponsored links

No.DescriptionSupp.Qty From Up To Part NumberPriceNotes
01Shaft135414440121$32.85
02WasherA8,4-200207/197707119900052$0.11ENDED
02Washer8,4X16X1,6-ZNNV207119907030
03Bush235411108237$1.87
04Retainer spring135411108676$3.38
06Washer6,4207/197707119931044$0.58ENDED
06WasherA6,4-ZNS207/197707119931018$0.40ENDED
06WasherA6,4-ZNNIV SI207119904202
07Lever135411110447$15.57ENDED
08Clip135411105778$7.38
09Pull rod103/196607/197735414440125$31.00
10Pin135414440133$7.05
11Hex boltM6X25-ZNS107119913018$0.38ENDED
11Hex boltM6X25107119913589$0.62
12Bush135414440122$4.09
13Accelerator pedal assy135414440120$31.91ENDED

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much to everyone for the input and solutions. Generosity abounds here and I should have a spring to try this week. Once I have the spring in hand and can test it, I will post if it works!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in re-assembly mode and discovered I don't have springs for the accelerator shaft (see picture) or for the brake and clutch pedals. Can't find them on Classic Alfa, OKP or AFRA. Brake and clutch pedal springs look pretty standard, but I've no idea how strong they should be. The accelerator shaft one (102.00.44.503.00) looks a bit more special.

Any ideas where to get these or good substitutes?

Thanks,
Andy
View attachment 1717959

View attachment 1717960
Andy
A couple of things
The carb parts breakdown is from a sedan.The roadsters are different.Here is one from a roadster.There is no spring on the left side of the shaft on the firewall,there is a vertical spring on the right side of the shaft.There is another spring on the shaft above the carbs.
I was able to get underneath my car today.To my disbelief there were no return springs attached to my pedals!!! When I rebuilt my cylinders 20 years ago I inexplicably left them off.Thats why I had two “spares”. I’m sorry but I won’t be able to part with them.The ring is 10mm(the same size as the pin)and the length is 80mm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The carb parts breakdown is from a sedan.The roadsters are different.Here is one from a roadster.There is no spring on the left side of the shaft on the firewall,there is a vertical spring on the right side of the shaft.There is another spring on the shaft above the carbs.
Well, that is embarrassing! I was on the wrong page of the parts book. Doh! Thank you Bob for noticing and setting it straight. And I'm sorry to everyone who commented, for not being more careful before asking the question. I had bookmarked the correct page but somehow ended up on the sedan page without noticing. Thankfully I have the vertically positioned spring on the right side.

And thanks Richard, who is mailing me one of his pedal springs so I can use it to find a replacement at the hardware store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts