Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know who sells the inner headlamp stoneguards as used on Ti Supers, / some Supers as an aftermarket item ? I could have a go at making some out of the smaller cheap aftermarket 53/4" diameter stoneguards readily available, but I'd rather buy the correct item if I can
See pic :-

Many thanks
Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,809 Posts
Did you look in the UK and on Brit car sites and on rallye parts sites? Somehow I think of these as very British, but I'm having trouble thinking of many British cars with 5 3/4" lights. Moss Motors? Mini Mania?

Andrew

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Andrew, lots of 70's Brit cars with 53/4" inner headlights, particularly such cars as Vauxhall Magnum, Firenza etc.
Looked at all the ones available in the UK for British cars, also been to the National Classic Car Show at the Birmingham NEC today, and all the ones available have mesh which is wider apart than the ones I see in the photos.
I'll have a word with Alfaholics on Monday, and see what they say. They don't advertise them, but have some on the Giulia TI Super R that they built,
Many thanks
Steve

Did you look in the UK and on Brit car sites and on rallye parts sites? Somehow I think of these as very British, but I'm having trouble thinking of many British cars with 5 3/4" lights. Moss Motors? Mini Mania?

Andrew

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bob, thanks for the tip, but these have the same issue as the UK ones for Brit cars that I've been looking at. Mesh isn't close enough, what I'm looking for are as follows :-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Mesh

The ones on Andrew's car come out of Germany.

Ask Max is he's willing to give you the maker's name.

best,
JC

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Steve

They have another site and catalogue:

www.speedbyspectre.com

The ones I have look close to the ones on the Super R.

However, I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

I'm keeping the 67 intake system virtually intact. The PO did an outstanding job of polishing the aluminium parts. It has the crossover with the oval canister on the exhaust side. The schnorkel is too small in diameter and the shop will replace it with a 3-inch SS elbow on the bottom. Then a 3-inch air intake hose from a 101 Spider to the aluminium 5 3/4-inch funnel at the inner headlight opening.

I'll add that on my Spider with the 2 L, I kept the stock intake and with the intake hose to the front it worked well.

Quick car and I miss it.

:detective:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bob, the ones on the Spectre website (97891), look exactly the same as the other site, unless I'm missing something ?
Steve

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
At the the time I was completing the build on my widebodied GT, I ordered lots of stuff from Alfaholics. At one point I inquired if they were selling the stoneguards for the inner GT headlights. Max then sent over the set they had made for Andrew, the both of us not realising that the inner Sedan headlights are smaller in diameter than the GT ones so I sent them back.

They were very nicely crafted from the "GTA style mesh", "rounded" and glued in a ring that fits the grille.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Bob, I think so. They haven't arrived yet. They were older ones, that are a bit tarnished, but are said to be heavy chrome, unlike some of the ones that are available on Ebay, that even have a disclaimer in the listing from new regarding the chrome !
What I could really do with are stainless ones in 53/4" diameter, but can only find the bigger size in those so far.
I'll let you know if I manage to find a set,
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Steve

The ones from Spectre actually are made of SS. Cheaply made, but not all that bad.

In another post there is a set of NOS ones offered for $300.

They look black.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Bob, the ones I'd bought are fitted and great. They were heavy chrome and have come up well.
Many thanks for your input,
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts