Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic doing the engine build has searched high and low and has sent back several plugs that fit 4 cylinder but can't find the ones for the 2600. See photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Getting closer to having a finished car... Fox
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I've read and seen that cigarette seals shrink due to heat and become a source of leaks over time. The last engine I rebuilt got the pockets for the cigarette seals filled with Ultra Black silicone sealant.

Mark

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The relevant bit in this great video starts ay 13.8 minutes and then sealant at around 17 minutes.

I use an engine rebuilder who has been building alfa 105 series race engines for 40 years. He is OK with the cigarettes, but bins the lock tabs. His argument is if you have used thread locker and torqued correctly these are unnecessary. A lock tab will only stop an already loosened nut falling off, if the nut is loose its already too late for the engine. He's not had a failure in 40 years due to leaving out the lock tabs.

·
Push hard and live
11,835 Posts
The relevant bit in this great video starts ay 13.8 minutes and then sealant at around 17 minutes.

I use an engine rebuilder who has been building alfa 105 series race engines for 40 years. He is OK with the cigarettes, but bins the lock tabs. His argument is if you have used thread locker and torqued correctly these are unnecessary. A lock tab will only stop an already loosened nut falling off, if the nut is loose its already too late for the engine. He's not had a failure in 40 years due to leaving out the lock tabs.
The small four cylinder Continentals used cotter keys in the rod bolts. Whenever I opened one up, the cotters were laying in the sump, but the nuts were firm, at torque. Without thread locker.

Cigarette seals? Ultra Black. Fill well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts