Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking for a source for chrome wiper bezels for a 750 spider.

Here is a picture from an ebay auction a couple of months ago from a place in the netherlands that was selling a set. I was dumb and didn't get them at the time.

I have been working with Moss Motors trying to find a set that was intended for an MG that would work. No luck so far.

Anybody out there been down this road before?

Cheers,

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That vendor lists those wiper links about once a month or so. Make them one of your favorite sellers and ebay will notify you when they add new items.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I just ordered a set from MiniSpares. They were less than half the price of the OKP parts, so I will take the gamble and will post about the results.

I am going to return the bezels that I got from Moss Motors since they are not sure if they have anything that will work. What they do have is Lucas Voltage regulators with the bakelite cover for about half of what Centerline sells them for. I love finding that arbitrage!

Jon

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preference

Why chrome bezels? Was that an option for the 750/101's? I feel so out of the loop.....
Nope, the originals are made out of black plastic or bakelite. I just like the chrome look better is all. Of course, I will keep the originals around for completeness.

J

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bezel comparison

So, I have two sets of Bezels now for my 750 spider. Neither of them are perfect. Looking at the picture below, left to right, are MGA bezels from Moss Motors, old style Mini bezels from Minispares.com, and the plastic bezels that I took off of my car.

Notice that the MGA bezels are angled over the most, the Mini bezels a little less, and finally the bezels on my car are the most upright.

From just looking at the picture on the OKP online catalog, I would say that the bezels that they supply are like the Mini bezels. It would be great if there were someone out there who has them who could confirm that.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mini bezels mounted.

I mounted the mini bezels on my car. They don't quite fit right, but they are close.

I am a bit tired of ordering these things and then sending them back, so I am thinking that I am just going to let these be.

Check it out. You can see from the pictures that the front of the bezels doesn't snug down to the gasket.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
original bezels?

After looking over the original bezels, I have my suspicions that they aren't original after all. They appear to be cut from a piece of black PVC pipe.

In the picture, you can see the obvious hacksaw markings.

While installing the wiper motor (mucho fun) I tried to get a good look at the mechanism under the dash. It looks to me like there is a similar length of PVC type stuff under the dash. I wonder if the PO cut a length of PVC pipe, put it in the miter box, and hacked an angle. He could then put one piece under the dash and the second piece on top. The would automatically have the matching, opposite angle that way.

If that were the case, the I suppose that I could also take a piece of PVC and cut an angle that matched the bezels. That should work like a charm providing that the change in angle does not cause the wiper arms to have poor contact with the windshield.

Can any one verify whether their original bezels look like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has just like last picture. Black plastic tube cutted angle and there is also same kind of saw marks. I have '57 Spider. Mine has turned gray. I only cleaned them and then used black chrome wax.

If you like bright bezels. You can simply take correct diameter stainless steel tube or bar (and drilled inner hole) and cut them angle just like original. You can polished stainless steel as bright as chrome.

If interested you found my restoration project from http://www.restoredsportscars.com/e/ts/

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
J,
I have two '65 Giulia Spiders, and both have black supports similar to your photo. No file marks on either set, and both are factory original. I would stay with the black, factory-appearing set in order to support the wiper base at the correct angle (assuming you will use the wipers in the rain;). If you re-use the PVC pipe bits, file the bases flat (to get rid of the saw marks), and be SURE to use some sort of sealer (like black Permatex or silicone caulking) between the base of the support and the bodywork. If not, you WILL get a major water leak whenever the car is washed or driven in the rain. You might also check the parts dealers in the UK (like Alfa Stop and Classic Alfa) for the correct supports -- I thought that they carried them.
Jim

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
small update

I just got this from Moss Motors. They have three types of bezels, and I ordered the one on the right (for an MGA). The bezel that I got from minispares looks about like the one in the middle. So, I am hopeful about the one on the left, though I don't know the difference between a wiper bezel and a wheelbox finisher.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Jon,
I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it again while searching for othe wiper info. Did you find what you were looking for, or did the last post turn you off?

I went in a different direction and reproduced the black spacers that go above and below the cowl. You can see my progress and final product at: http://alfamagic.shutterfly.com/projects/251 . They are also available through Patrick Hung at VeloceSpace .
I suppose they could be turned from brass and then chrome plated, if that's the look you are going for....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon,
I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it again while searching for othe wiper info. Did you find what you were looking for, or did the last post turn you off?
Hi Terry,
Naw, you have to try harder than that to offend me! :D

From memory, I went with the one on the left in the picture showing the three option. I still had to dress the end a bit with a file to get it to sit the way I wanted.

I know that it isn't stock, but I kept the originals safe and sound and I like the chrome look...:)

Jon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts