Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The photo shows a large oval hole where my heater hoses route through the firewall, and above and below you can see screw holes for what I assume is the grommet clamp.

All the research I've done shows two separate round holes for the hoses. Anyhow, does anyone have, or know where I can get the grommet and clamp in this configuration? Thanks!
52B51030-2C66-4058-ADC1-C08ED94DC1D3.jpeg

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Jim this was the early configuration before Alfa / Pininfarina moved to the 2 separate holes with the rubber gromets

Alas I have no idea where to find such an item, AlfaZagato on this board looked for years to find one for his '56 Spider which was around 00800 in chassis number

My Parts Catalogue just shows a round grommet for the heater hoses

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi Jim, Greig and all,

Fwiw, here some pictures from the parts ( # 3 and # 20) in the catalog. I guess this is what your looking for.
# 3 > Alfa 1493.10.755
# 20 > Alfa 1493.90.019

As Greig mentioned yet these seem to be unobtainable.
From reading the catalogs, I thought that your early type with the one oval hole would have been related to cars that had the heating system with only two hot air outlets to the windschield, but my november 1956 sprint, with two hot air outlets, has already two separate holes in the firewall, this is yet the later type.
So untill now it isn't clear when the change happened exactly.
Jim, could you maybe close the gap a little and be some more specific about the date (month) of your 1956 car ? Thanks !

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for that information! My chassis is a mid-December 1956 (1014). I'm not in a big hurry to find a clamp, but I might be able to fabricate something, or simply use two of the oval grommets in that space...

Regards,

Jim

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Thanks Thierry

Jim - Looking at the picture, it's 2 halves riveted together at the bottom, in the same idea as the oval ones, but you could make this without 2 much trouble if you made 4 pieces, 2 big C shapes for the bottom and 2 smaller ones for the top. Make it all in brass, file it to shape & silver solder the small c to the top of the big C, rivet the bottom together like the standard ovals and then have it chromed

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
567 Posts
I do agree with you both, make a simple substitute, a metal plate with two holes and two grommets. You never know that one day you would find the original clamp to replace the home made one.
Therefor don't change the firewall by drilling extra holes, use the two original screw holes and the oval hole for mounting the substitute.
Just my thought of course,

Thierry

·
Registered
429 Posts
A friend of mine here had a very early '56 Spider in his shop last year that had been delivered for assessment following a So Cal inheritance. I took a few pictures of it while it was in. Hoped I could find a decent real life photo of the clamp for you. Alas, it's gone too. Not surprising considering the condition of the engine compartment. You can just make out the exact
IMG_2814.jpg
IMG_2820.jpg
same oval hole below the aftermarket air cleaner. Sorry.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
FWIW. this part is on Spiders, Sprints SS's and SZ's with no references to when and where these were begun or ended . I find it interesting the oval hole is large enough to accomodate two pretty large hoses that are threaded through to the heater but the clamp and grommet look more like they would accept only a pair of cables and nothing more sizable than that. I suspect the firewall was produced with this clamp in the design yet from the factory floor, the assembly did not work as the draftsmen thought and the whole idea of a clamp and grommet was pitched out the window... I will bet a few farthings that the threaded holes on the firewall have the original paint of the car at time of production in the threads and there is no evidence a screw (2) ever were there in the final analysis. So shop foreman takes his grievance to the engineers and the engineers come up with a better mouse trap.. two holes and keep on truckin'

·
Registered
11 Posts
A friend of mine here had a very early '56 Spider in his shop last year that had been delivered for assessment following a So Cal inheritance. I took a few pictures of it while it was in. Hoped I could find a decent real life photo of the clamp for you. Alas, it's gone too. Not surprising considering the condition of the engine compartment. You can just make out the exact View attachment 1615264 View attachment 1615265 same oval hole below the aftermarket air cleaner. Sorry.
Värmekran på torpedvägg .jpeg

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi Bossobay,

What a great picture !
I guess you had to remove the air filter for taking the picture of the clamp, thanks.
Can you also confirm please that on the very early spiders the heater valve is originally so close to the water intake union of the inlet manifold? This can't be seen in the catalogs. Thanks again !

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bossobay, you’re the man! That actually doesn’t look any less engineered or workable from the engine side than two holes and two rubber plugs. That oval hole looked worse before the finished product showed up. Nice, clean installation and photo. How many are you going to make? Hee hee...

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info - thank you! That has a 1493... part number, so I imagine it was used on other Alfas '56 or earlier? Would it be worthwhile to post a request under the parts wanted section?

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello,

not sure is the right one, I know there may diffrent sizes, maybe you can ask the seller.

Carlo

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
A holden (Australian) heater hose grommet might work. Check ebay. I did a research on chrysler grommet and found the holden grommet.

Reed

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked out the Holden grommet, and It looks good but I need to measure the opening to see how close it is. It's only $3, but the shipping is listed as $60! It might be negotiable... ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello,

not sure is the right one, I know there may diffrent sizes, maybe you can ask the seller.

Carlo
The clamp I need needs the oval to be oriented horizontally relative to the screw holes, so this one won't work I'm afraid. Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
226 Posts
I checked out the Holden grommet, and It looks good but I need to measure the opening to see how close it is. It's only $3, but the shipping is listed as $60! It might be negotiable... ?

Jim
Other grommets are out there with cheaper shipping. Also contact the seller about shipping cost. Probably can get it shipped cheaper than what's posted.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I restored 1956 Spider and it had the same grommet and did not know how rare the part was. I would probably have one fabricated but, would put a want ad in the Bulletin. I found a running 1956 Spider engine and finding a grommet is not impossible because 1,000 1956 Spiders were built.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts