Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new straps for my 1969 1750 Mk1 GTV. Went to fit them and didn't see what I expected.

Its dark now so have given up. But I took a photo of the strap if anyone could confirm what I'm looking at please?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi
Looks like you are missing the rubber covering and the rollers. Please post a picture
of what you purchased so we can check you have bought the right ones .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shane, I bought from Classic Alfa the "moving parts". Strap, pin, roller. Not the assembly. I'm confused because I can't see how to get at or change the bracket that the pin/roller goes into as there's steel in the way. The card is off the door. I understand from you that the rubber has fallen off the strap so that's a start and reading about Mk2 straps going through the hinge plate I feared I'd a Mk2 hinge.
Not sure how to get at it as I'm certain I need to remove the bracket to fit the pin

·
Registered
493 Posts
You have the right parts. You will need to remove the two slot screws and take out
the bracket from the inside. From memory I think you can leave the hinge in place.

Reactions: Andrew_McCrae

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do one side at a time. Mark the top of the the existing one before you remove it. The new straps only work in one orientation.Not hard to do. Pins for rollers only come out one way. Don’t lubricate with petroleum based product.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And the body side pin? It's well painted over. Is it a screw to unscrew from the top or is it a pin to knock out from the top. And as regards access room, I've a feeling of impending PITA with the internal door metal covering access. I really appreciate the help on this one. Regulators, locks etc are fine but it's the ones where you have to feel inside a box with fingers that are never long enough.
IMG_20200615_074724.jpg

At least I discovered a contributor to my window breaking. The runner felt is very well worn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be that as it protrudes through and is pointed 😁
Your door part is different as you've studs and nuts. PO again?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hit pin with a nail from bottom side. Remove door panel. Remove 2 nuts, reach inside door and remove the mechanism. I have probably the biggest hands in Canada and it was not difficult.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The hinge with nuts are from a later model

Reactions: Andrew_McCrae

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great help Gentlemen! (I hope that's not sexist). I've got my action plan now. Panel is off already.
Remove the paint from top just to make sure it is a pin, hit the bottom of the nail upwards to remove. String Door to seat/body/anywhere to avoid damaging the wing by over-opening, Remove two Screws with flat screwdriver, reach in and grab what I find.

I've a bit of refurb to do before I put the whole door back together. Rusty interior handle mount, fit new lock barrel, fit new window, clean and regrease regulator etc. But..... (There's always one) is there any advice on what the original screws were to hold on the doorcard, Black or Shiny, What Metric Size, What size, design and finish Ferrule for screws, I have all the bits apart from some missing ferrules. Finally what was the original membrane material, I have a FIAT from the 70s which used a nylon type material and wonder if that was the original, presumable held in by a sticky putty rather than the duct tape I just took off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why was I concerned, Only problem was getting the screws off until I realised my 1/4" socket set had screwdriver bits that give access from the side as well as torque. Everything out and now I realise I didn't need a pin for the roller and I did need two rollers as both have disappeared somewhere. Its not the buying that annoys me, it's the postage and having to wait until I do the rest of the door as I'm not working on it with no check strap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it back together just fine. My only problem was the rollers I bought were a very tight fit end to end, preventing them rolling. A quick file to shorten them, and at last the door stays open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts