Alfa Romeo Forums banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
That engine swap is without doubt the dumbest thing I have ever seen done to a ferrari. There should be some kind of criminal charge for whoever was responsible.
But to be far to the person who did it, they would have purchased the car minus an engine ... and yes you can get new ones but they are not cheap.

This change was not done because a SBC is more reliable than a Columbo v12. That might be true, but it was done because there was a position vacant. This is why I hate replicas ...
Pete

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
But to be far to the person who did it, they would have purchased the car minus an engine ... and yes you can get new ones but they are not cheap.

This change was not done because a SBC is more reliable than a Columbo v12. That might be true, but it was done because there was a position vacant. This is why I hate replicas ...
Pete
What ever the reason there is no excuse. A pre fiat ferrari without its engine? You have literally destroyed everything that makes that car great. There is nothing you could ever replace that engine and gearbox with that will make that car anything other than a pile of crap. Anyone that has anything to do with these cars other than looking at them would understand.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
What ever the reason there is no excuse. A pre fiat ferrari without its engine? You have literally destroyed everything that makes that car great. There is nothing you could ever replace that engine and gearbox with that will make that car anything other than a pile of crap. Anyone that has anything to do with these cars other than looking at them would understand.
I'd be ok if they put one of these in:

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'd be ok if they put one of these in:

View attachment 1718158
😁Love the sentiment but it still wouldn't be the same.
I was lucky enough to help maintain some of these old ferrari. Not many cars excite me anymore but these old things are majestic.The entire soul of these machines is the engine, you can't substitute it with anything.
Anyway I have diverted an otherwise interesting thread so enough out of me.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Agree.

Replica makers, or spare engine snatchers for racing, jerks have reduced this car to "soon to be recycled metal"
I agree that engine is the entire reason for that car (and similar). It's a beautiful object, but without that engine it's just a nice static museum display in my view.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
And yet---it sold with spirited bidding for $195,000. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors!

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
And yet---it sold with spirited bidding for $195,000. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors!
$5's that the chassis is ripped out and the body potentially scrapped or back on eBay

Again, amazed that the chassis remained as that is worth serious $'s to people who make replicas such as GTO Engineering (who even in this day and age are cutting these cars up to make SWBs, TRs and GTOs :()
Pete

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
It's not far out of the realm of possibility to find a correct engine and make it right. It's like putting the cut-out face back on the Mona Lisa.

It's a perfectly usable car, and a vintage Ferrari, but I'd be embarrassed to start it up in front of anyone. I was once standing in my gravel driveway in Seattle with my Fiat 124. A nice early XJ6 sedan rolled up and turned around in the neighbors driveway, he nodded. His window was open and I said, That's no Jag. He smiled and said, "Ford. But it starts every day." We both laughed and waved and he drove off smiling.

It is just a car after all.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
A 365GT/4 engine would make it interesting, and at least sound right again, but what would be real funny would be to put a Jaguar XK engine in it. Sound would be better (yes I disapprove of the v8 sound in a 6 or 12 cylinder car) and would poke fun at all the people that think Jaguar XK engines are unreliable
Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
... I know this is 100% my personal opinion but well heck work is boring and I'm simply disappointed.

I now wonder why many of you are even interested in Alfa Romeos?, there are definitely many better and more reliable cars out there, even more exciting cars.

Why did I get into Alfa Romeos?

Well my father is a passionate motor racing and car enthusiast and he had all these wonderful old motor racing year books. In my impressionable years I read these books many times and I just got completely caught up in the romance of motor sport, and thus Alfa Romeo. Fact is if you have a heart and are big time into motor sport you can't help but respect Alfa Romeo. While they were not there at the very begining it was not long after and they have never stopped since, and infact must have seriously compromised the company to continue playing.

I thus view Alfa Romeo above Ferrari for this reason, because Ferrari is a new player and really took over the role ... and their road cars have much less in common with their race cars. Especially because Ferrari does not race sportscars seriously anymore.

Thus why did I buy a 1750 GTV?

Well heck look at what you get, a road car that owes so much to that racing bug that is Alfa Romeo. We are not talking minor connections like say the paddle shift in the F430 Ferraris today, we are talking 100% connections. That motor (design), that gearbox, that differential DID indeed prove itself over and over and over again on many famous race tracks all over the world.

How can you not get excited about that. SZ's, TZ's, GTA's and GTAm's you name them, they all raced with a derivative of that very engine that is in my car. We are not talking just racing stripes here, or naming the car after the companies last race win (like the Ferrari Daytona for example), we are talking the very same engineering.

Read more and you will discover the Jano cars and yes how I would love to own any car that Jano was involved with, but **** I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I own a classic road car that is awesome to look at (but built crappy ;)), great to drive and has a 100% direct connection to what to me makes Alfa Romeo, well er, Alfa Romeo: their racing history.

What I cannot understand, even with modern technology understandably improving things, is why you would want to remove an engine that has all this to be replaced by nothing but a mass produced production line number that has achieved nothing, nothing at all but move a few boring road cars around. Road cars that have not tested themselves on the Targa Floria, or Laguna Seca, road cars that have not upheld the very image of their company ... all just units sold to keep accountants happy.

If when you sit in your Alfa Romeo, or open the bonnet, honestly cannot feel that history, feel that you are part of it ... well I suggest you start reading, read about Alfa Romeo and hopefully your car will become more than just a neat little car to you.

People who lust after or own Ducati's will 100% understand what I am saying here. Just about every single Japanese bike built has a better and more powerful engine ... but that is not all there is to automotive enthusiasm. There is much more romance to it than that. Especially to us 'road' people [track people do indeed just want more power :D].

Best
Pete
Having owned three Ducatis and now a GTV6 I get what you’re saying. 😂

·
Registered
'59 Giulietta Sprint 101, '79 Alfetta GT
161 Posts
Getting back to the original poster, I share his sentiment, almost. While I cringe at all of the SBC conversions and similar, I don’t think anyone can argue that the future of vintage motoring won’t include electric conversions. I initially hated the idea, but as the fossil fuel situation gets weirder I’m realizing my kids likely won’t have the access we do to fuel, and putting a car’s ICE on the shelf may be necessary.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Getting back to the original poster, I share his sentiment, almost. While I cringe at all of the SBC conversions and similar, I don’t think anyone can argue that the future of vintage motoring won’t include electric conversions. I initially hated the idea, but as the fossil fuel situation gets weirder I’m realizing my kids likely won’t have the access we do to fuel, and putting a car’s ICE on the shelf may be necessary.
I think when the happens, our old cars will become static items like old printing presses. Why put an electric motor in these cars, when 75% of the fun was the engine being the soul of the car? Just look at them.

Actually I've just had a brilliant idea. Somebody needs to come up with a program to make the electric motor produce the torque curve of these old ICE engines. Then yes an electric motor does makes sense, to continue the fun
Pete

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I think when the happens, our old cars will become static items like old printing presses. Why put an electric motor in these cars, when 75% of the fun was the engine being the soul of the car? Just look at them.

Actually I've just had a brilliant idea. Somebody needs to come up with a program to make the electric motor produce the torque curve of these old ICE engines. Then yes an electric motor does makes sense, to continue the fun
Pete
I doubt gasoline will ever become unavailable in the lifetime of anybody alive today. Petrochemicals aren’t going anywhere - they are in just about everything. And if you are already running a refinery, getting some useable gasoline to sell is not a big stretch. Use will be limited enough that banning would be unnecessary- like pre emissions cars.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This would be no problem at all. Emulating the sound, however, can only be fake. I work on EVs for a living and the torque is one of the best bits. But I just bought an e-Scooter to get to the train station and they calibrated a torque curve to replicate a 4 stroke 50cc. Perhaps its safer, but not as much fun as other more brutal calibrations.

I doubt gasoline will ever become unavailable in the lifetime of anybody alive today. Petrochemicals aren’t going anywhere - they are in just about everything. And if you are already running a refinery, getting some useable gasoline to sell is not a big stretch. Use will be limited enough that banning would be unnecessary- like pre emissions cars.
Yes, while fuel might be available, where I live social acceptance of using it is rapidly declining. Personally, I can no longer feel good about burning fuel for mere recreation, and do it much less than before. Im not going to convert my Alfa to electric, but thinking that mid term my motoring/motorsport hobby will need to evolve into something sustainable. Ironically given the above discussion, that brings me to kit cars with electric "conversion" - no need to steal a precious engine nor worry about bastardisation if the thing is a fake to begin with.....

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Look above and LMK what you think lol
IMO stupid. If anybody thinks a 308 engine is high maintenance then owning any car, other than a Chev which you just drive I to the ground and then replace, is not for you. Pretty simple things, no more complex than a GTV6 ... only issue is their name and they are now old cars and have been run by cheap people as the only Ferrari they can reach.

But this guy is doing this to fund his YouTube life surely. He's putting power and aggravation of purists before fun.
Pete

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
IMO stupid. If you think a 308 engine is high maintenance then owning any car, other than a Chev which you just drive I to the ground and then replace, is not for you. Pretty simple things, no more complex than a GTV6.

But this guy is doing this to fund his YouTube life surely. He's putting power and aggravation of purists before fun.
Pete
I don't think maintenance was the reason. There's a pretty well-trod path to getting a K series Honda up to ungodly horsepower, and upgrade parts are readily available. Not so much on a Ferrari F106. I mean, I'm sure there's a mad scientist somewhere who has tuned them, but you'd be looking at a pretty extensive science project if you want to try to get 1,000hp out of one. The K-series is also likely lighter (and certainly lighter than other common swap engines like the Chevy LS).

Anyhow, it's a malaise era 308. Not like he chopped up an F40.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts