Alfa Romeo Forums banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Administrator
16,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
That engine swap is without doubt the dumbest thing I have ever seen done to a ferrari. There should be some kind of criminal charge for whoever was responsible.
But to be far to the person who did it, they would have purchased the car minus an engine ... and yes you can get new ones but they are not cheap.

This change was not done because a SBC is more reliable than a Columbo v12. That might be true, but it was done because there was a position vacant. This is why I hate replicas ...
Pete

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
But to be far to the person who did it, they would have purchased the car minus an engine ... and yes you can get new ones but they are not cheap.

This change was not done because a SBC is more reliable than a Columbo v12. That might be true, but it was done because there was a position vacant. This is why I hate replicas ...
Pete
What ever the reason there is no excuse. A pre fiat ferrari without its engine? You have literally destroyed everything that makes that car great. There is nothing you could ever replace that engine and gearbox with that will make that car anything other than a pile of crap. Anyone that has anything to do with these cars other than looking at them would understand.

·
Administrator
16,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Agree.

Replica makers, or spare engine snatchers for racing, jerks have reduced this car to "soon to be recycled metal"

But in the end, 99.99% of the population just see a boring man made car and don't care
Pete

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What ever the reason there is no excuse. A pre fiat ferrari without its engine? You have literally destroyed everything that makes that car great. There is nothing you could ever replace that engine and gearbox with that will make that car anything other than a pile of crap. Anyone that has anything to do with these cars other than looking at them would understand.
I'd be ok if they put one of these in:

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I'd be ok if they put one of these in:

View attachment 1718158
😁Love the sentiment but it still wouldn't be the same.
I was lucky enough to help maintain some of these old ferrari. Not many cars excite me anymore but these old things are majestic.The entire soul of these machines is the engine, you can't substitute it with anything.
Anyway I have diverted an otherwise interesting thread so enough out of me.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Agree.

Replica makers, or spare engine snatchers for racing, jerks have reduced this car to "soon to be recycled metal"
I agree that engine is the entire reason for that car (and similar). It's a beautiful object, but without that engine it's just a nice static museum display in my view.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
And yet---it sold with spirited bidding for $195,000. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors!

·
Administrator
16,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
And yet---it sold with spirited bidding for $195,000. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors!
$5's that the chassis is ripped out and the body potentially scrapped or back on eBay

Again, amazed that the chassis remained as that is worth serious $'s to people who make replicas such as GTO Engineering (who even in this day and age are cutting these cars up to make SWBs, TRs and GTOs :()
Pete

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It's not far out of the realm of possibility to find a correct engine and make it right. It's like putting the cut-out face back on the Mona Lisa.

It's a perfectly usable car, and a vintage Ferrari, but I'd be embarrassed to start it up in front of anyone. I was once standing in my gravel driveway in Seattle with my Fiat 124. A nice early XJ6 sedan rolled up and turned around in the neighbors driveway, he nodded. His window was open and I said, That's no Jag. He smiled and said, "Ford. But it starts every day." We both laughed and waved and he drove off smiling.

It is just a car after all.

·
Administrator
16,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
A 365GT/4 engine would make it interesting, and at least sound right again, but what would be real funny would be to put a Jaguar XK engine in it. Sound would be better (yes I disapprove of the v8 sound in a 6 or 12 cylinder car) and would poke fun at all the people that think Jaguar XK engines are unreliable
Pete

101 - 111 of 111 Posts