Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Alot of work, but when you consider that compared to the standard motor, it was just the manifolds, ecu, injectors and machining of the pistons, it aint too much (ie no need for custom internals which is a big plus!)...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
PSK, I share some of the nostalgia that comes through in your posts. I've never owned any modern sports cars, mostly because they don't interest me. But I strongly support every individuals right to build the vehicle that THEY want. If that means a '57 Chevy with modern Corvette suspension? Great. A GTV with a Honda S2000 engine? More power to you. Each person knows what they like. I have a dead-stock '56 Giulietta and a pretty extensively modified '74 GTV. Which one I drive depends on my mood.

Erik

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think it's great to build what you want. It makes life interesting! Someone had made a comment about resetting things back to perfect stock specs and then see how it is. Most people do not go thru their cars with the attention to detail they should. I cannot believe the extra power you can get by giving a decent running car a real tune up. I'd swear a few car must have gained 50 hp!

A friend of mine was going to build a GTA replica, in flat black primer with a SR20 DET in it tuned to about 300 hp. Unfortunately life got in the way and he had to sell the car. That would have been really cool. There will ALWAYS be someone around with a perfect whatever so you know what it is supposed to be like, but that does not mean yours needs to be like that! I love Alfas, but I also love cars in a large general sense. I try to appreciate things for what they are and the craftmanship that went into it. I keep thinking of a T-bucket like car with all giulietta mechanicals that I would like to build, and I may sell a car or 2 so I have time and space to do just that... Some people just HAVE to do something different!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm all for a different engine in a classic car combo (even if it is an alfa), but only if it is well thought through and clever.

For example, somebody said about putting a buick/holden V6 in a GTV6 - that is just wrong on so many levels (swapping the harshest V6 on the planet for the sweetest?).

Whereas, a guy in Toowoomba used to have an alfetta with a turbo rotary in it. That was a cool car. Very fast, but as the rotary weighed about the same as a 4 cyl, had great chassis balance - and used to spit great licks of flame out the exhaust:).

I reckon a Lexus 4.2 litre V8 could be good in a GTV6 - would it still be an Alfa? Not really (is a Giocottolo still an Alfa? - for those not in the know, is a Alfasud Sprint with a mid mounted 5.0 EFI V8), but it would be interesting, fast, look cool and sound fantastic.

If you are culturally disturbed by this thought (ie *** engine in Italian car), maybe a maserati V8 (twin turbo even..), would better suit your prejudices...but that's your own problem. I could just as easily appreciate an LS2 or small block windor.

Would I like to see it done to a concourse GTV6 - no. How about to a rare car (like a Montreal, Junior Zagato, Sprint Speciale etc) - hell no.

But would I write-off somebody else for doing this, and probably keeping on the road an alfa that could have otherwise found is way into a scrap yard...well, that's a big call.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well this has been a fascinating thread and one that is relevant to my project - taking a rusty Sprint and putting a 164 3 litre V6 24v engine and gearbox into the back!
Not quite a 6C, which had a longitudinal V6, but it is all Alfa. More details on the "Boxer engined" forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What you are forgetting here is Alfas dont need alot of power to do what they do, ie be fun, entertaining and quick, nimble cars... Most cars arent, but most Alfas are, thats what made them so special over other cars of their time...

So it's the good handling that makes an Alfa special, and not the engine;)? Just jesting... Cars mean different things to different people and fulfill several needs - I got an Alfa because it's a fantastic compromise of good performance/handling, looks, practicality and general coolness. You can still enjoy most of the unique Alfa experience with a 300hp SR20 under the bonnet.

On the subject of complete originality, road cars are always a big compromise among performance, cost, safety, noise levels, emissions, comfort etc etc - Alfa had to balance these like everyone else - you shouldn't assume they did a perfect job, nor assume that, for example, some people don't want to change the mix of compromises. For example, I have not read a review of a 105 GTV 2000 that didn't criticise the tyre choice - modern tyres can make a giulia way more enjoyable to drive (and more safe).

Brad

edited: I'm going to check out that V6-in-a-sprint thread!!!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I really don't think a TS in a GTV is an abomination, an SR20 would be because at the heart of every Alfa is an Alfa engine. The soul and passion of Italian cars are Italian engines, as good as Japanese engines are, and I've had a few, there is no soul to those things no matter the power.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cool video.

I'm wondering , How long would that run without a radiator?

That car looks SMALL.. How much bigger than my kids Barbie Jeep is it?

thanks for the vid

and about that using a 350 cause its cheap...yea it is cheap for parts.. but the distributor is at the back of the block and would hit the firewall..
That's why I am using a ford motor.

302 into a 69 spider.....under construction.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Variety is the spice of life. I have very strong views on what constitutes a well modded car. Of course its my oppinion only, so I just apply it to my car projects. Personally, my twin charge project would have been a HEAP cheaper if I had simply dropped an SR20 into it, but for me personally, I would be sad to lift the bonnet and see anything other than that beautifull alfetta cam cover staring back at me (if I stayed with 4cyl).....thats just me. I'd also slot a rotary in an Alfetta in a heartbeat as I love them too and respect the engineering in the little rotor. I still love my alfas, I still have read a heap about the history and I am still involved in an Alfa club.

my scents for what its worth!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Engine conversions are like modification work in general, rather personal in preferance.
I always believe that a conversion should keep to the original design criteria of the car. Shoving a small or big block yank engine into an Alfa is an abomination. It's just to against the grain of ballance and finness.
But as Buzzed as hinted, a Rotor Motor would really suit the Alfa's original design criteria and would be much better suited engine in the capable Alfa chassis than some wayward (standard) RX2/3/4 (my opinion ;))

·
Registered
157 Posts
What gives an Alfa and other Italian cars its soul & heart are its engine, and replacing it with a "foreign" type, which may be more powerful or efficient is (IMHO) wrong.
I like the engineering that has gone in to a conversion but I do not think it should be referred to as an Alfa and should have the badges removed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
What gives an Alfa and other Italian cars its soul & heart are its engine, and replacing it with a "foreign" type, which may be more powerful or efficient is (IMHO) wrong.
I like the engineering that has gone in to a conversion but I do not think it should be referred to as an Alfa and should have the badges removed.
too right .

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like my Alfas as Alfas, but I do understand the engine swaps. Two things are in play. One, Alfas are cheap for how they look. For all the inter-sanctum cars that are traded in the $4000-8000 range, go out on the street and because it is an oddball car, dozens go for $500. Cheap enough to make a mistake. Two, in modern traffic, most Alfas are not fast. For a new owner, getting out run by a mom and her kids, in a Honda Civic, does not give warm fuzzies. Most traditional Alfa owners want it to as intellectual as physical interaction with the car. Many newer owners want Now! Now! Now! Most new owners dont know the history, they want to show off. As for V8s, if you are chopping up a $500 car, a $500 engine/ trans core at the local junk yard is the place to start more than a $20000 Ferrari engine. America is about Hot Rods and V8s hard to break that mold.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi!
Talking about engine swaps or mods done to cars, I use to follow these rules:

1.- Do it like the Factory or Autodelta previously did.
They used a 3.0 V6 into a GTV?? Ok, you are plenty allowed to do so... but please, do it nicely, clean and well enginereed.

2.- Modifications should look like factory stock, or at least close to factory standards/looks.

3.- Modifications should be reversible to stock with minor work.

Best regards,
Alvaro.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
ill make this simple..body styling or engine sound

my lloyd conversion useing an alfa milano PLATINUM suspension, engine, transaxle, frame sections, engine wiring(for now)....shes got ALOT more alfa in her than the original 1958 german stuff..in fact all thats left german is about 75% of the body

me i LOVE my gtv6 but the body style of the lloyd is something 1 off and VERY unique..i simply took it 1 step further..dropped the 600cc 25hp FWD with SCARY drum brakes in favor of ALL ALFA PARTS so it would be fast nimble fun ..and SAFE!!!...the result is a 78inch wheel base car that resembles a baby 49 merc woody wagon(without the wood) that weighs less than a race ready milano(while still being FULLY LOADED!) and the sounds of that singing italian under the hood.....all while being smaller than an old mini cooper

sure the purists scream and rant....but some of us want something FUN and unique..i picked alfa as the milano fell into my lap at the right time and right price(free) and i had fallen deeply in love with the way the gtv6 runs drives and corners...it seemed the only logical step for the lloyd

i think the jump to "newer" modern engines in ANY car(with the exception of idiots and there chevy 350's cause they do it just to follow the heard) is

#1 reliability
#2 parts availability
#3 more power for less$$$
#4 fuel economy

the cars we pick to swap into is generaly out of love of the body/interior..and we want to improve on the faults or stumbling blocks of the suspension/engine/trans ....older alfa stuff has its limits..and can only be imrpoved so much before your spending more than its worth and steping WAY over the lifeline and reliabilty..let alone fuel economy or safety.....we put bigger brakes from all sorts of cars and companys on our cars and no one even thinks twice..same goes for most of the suspension..all in the sake of "improvement"..same goes for a transmission...if there was something availible we would be using it

personaly i see a honda motor swap into a alfa the same way i see a "new" alfa motor swap into an alfa..its a step FORWARD!......now a chevy 350 on the other hand...is just some idiot following the crowd of 350 owners "cause its simple and cheep".....if your going to do an engine swap atleast have the balls to be somewhat unique about your choice of parts

ive got my selection of classics..alfa into the lloyd was like a fine pair of hottys being brought together....my 58 ford isnt stock but its all "era" stuff..same goes for my 67-69 cudas..the gtv6 is essentialy stock....me i strive for "unique" ..if i start seeing LOTS of gtv6's around localy id sell it or change it drasticly....the lloyd ive seen 1 trashed one perminantly parked..1 restored "coupe" at a show i was at..lets just say ill NEVER see one like mine..the 58 ford..a total of 8 ive seen and 5 of those are/were in wreckers
There's definitely room for you and your car in SNO (Scuderia Non Originale) ... or are you a member already? No dues, no newsletter, no meetings, but you can get cool stickers. Our new German sticker is perfect for the Lloyd. SCUDERIA NON ORIGINALE™ (SNO) – The Williams Family … Now and Then

Product Vision care Triangle Organism Eyewear
Rectangle Font Symbol Graphics Brand
Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, as long as one is not destroying a rare car, as far as I am considered, anyone can do what ever they like with their car. However, as far as the appreciation of the end result go, we all have our own preferences. I personally don´t see much point in changing an engine from another make, unless the original engine was completely without character. This very rarely applies to Alfas. Citroen DS could be one example, where I wouldn´t mind , for example a rotary engine to replace the antiquated original engine (as Citroen had planned originally).

I went for the engine conversion, because I wanted the ultimate Busso sound, but in a romantic looking package. In my opinion, Alfa never put the Busso in a romantic looking car. Striking looking, yes, but not romantic. After deciding to put one in a Spider, I had two different themes in my mind to choose from. A "2500 Super Veloce", a what if Alfa had made a Busso Spider themselves or a "2500 stradale" imaginary period (60/70´s) racer street version. I ended up going with the latter theme, purely because a suitable candidate car came up. Visually I am making quite an effort to make it a period looking in it´s details. Brakes are over upgraded, due planned Alpine use and wheels are a bit larger diameter, but a period design.

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,514 Posts
I went for the engine conversion, because I wanted the ultimate Busso sound, but in a romantic looking package. In my opinion, Alfa never put the Busso in a romantic looking car. Striking looking, yes, but not romantic. After deciding to put one in a Spider, I had two different themes in my mind to choose from. A "2500 Super Veloce", a what if Alfa had made a Busso Spider themselves or a "2500 stradale" imaginary period (60/70´s) racer street version.
To my way of thinking, putting an Alfa engine into an Alfa is fine. I think this thread is more about the trend of putting a Honda/Chevy/Toyota -type engine into an Alfa. Given that the engine is the soul of an Alfa, replacing it with some alien brand just seems wrong.

But as Finlandese also wrote "as long as one is not destroying a rare car ... anyone can do what ever they like".

61 - 80 of 111 Posts