Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
ill make this simple..body styling or engine sound

my lloyd conversion useing an alfa milano PLATINUM suspension, engine, transaxle, frame sections, engine wiring(for now)....shes got ALOT more alfa in her than the original 1958 german stuff..in fact all thats left german is about 75% of the body

me i LOVE my gtv6 but the body style of the lloyd is something 1 off and VERY unique..i simply took it 1 step further..dropped the 600cc 25hp FWD with SCARY drum brakes in favor of ALL ALFA PARTS so it would be fast nimble fun ..and SAFE!!!...the result is a 78inch wheel base car that resembles a baby 49 merc woody wagon(without the wood) that weighs less than a race ready milano(while still being FULLY LOADED!) and the sounds of that singing italian under the hood.....all while being smaller than an old mini cooper

sure the purists scream and rant....but some of us want something FUN and unique..i picked alfa as the milano fell into my lap at the right time and right price(free) and i had fallen deeply in love with the way the gtv6 runs drives and corners...it seemed the only logical step for the lloyd

i think the jump to "newer" modern engines in ANY car(with the exception of idiots and there chevy 350's cause they do it just to follow the heard) is

#1 reliability
#2 parts availability
#3 more power for less$$$
#4 fuel economy

the cars we pick to swap into is generaly out of love of the body/interior..and we want to improve on the faults or stumbling blocks of the suspension/engine/trans ....older alfa stuff has its limits..and can only be imrpoved so much before your spending more than its worth and steping WAY over the lifeline and reliabilty..let alone fuel economy or safety.....we put bigger brakes from all sorts of cars and companys on our cars and no one even thinks twice..same goes for most of the suspension..all in the sake of "improvement"..same goes for a transmission...if there was something availible we would be using it

personaly i see a honda motor swap into a alfa the same way i see a "new" alfa motor swap into an alfa..its a step FORWARD!......now a chevy 350 on the other hand...is just some idiot following the crowd of 350 owners "cause its simple and cheep".....if your going to do an engine swap atleast have the balls to be somewhat unique about your choice of parts

ive got my selection of classics..alfa into the lloyd was like a fine pair of hottys being brought together....my 58 ford isnt stock but its all "era" stuff..same goes for my 67-69 cudas..the gtv6 is essentialy stock....me i strive for "unique" ..if i start seeing LOTS of gtv6's around localy id sell it or change it drasticly....the lloyd ive seen 1 trashed one perminantly parked..1 restored "coupe" at a show i was at..lets just say ill NEVER see one like mine..the 58 ford..a total of 8 ive seen and 5 of those are/were in wreckers

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
yeah its one thing if the car is genuinely a "special" car..with a very limited# made and in descent enuf condition to keep it stock

your right on that bently..its better to swap an engine than let the car die slowly..in that situation i would have made as FEW mods to the car as posible to do the swap so that in time the original engine could have been dropped back in as if it had never been removed thus keeping the car on the road but still capable of being brought back to its former glory

with my lloyd i posted a few pic's here and got flamed by the purists....and got flamed by the micro car purists as well on other places

....i saved a milano platinum from going to the impound yard as NO ONE WOULD BUY IT!!!..yeah it was a platinum 500$ forsale for more than 6months localy. had an oil leak but ZERO RUST! and descent paint/interior...the 1958lloyd is a shame i cut it up more so than the platinum..as its a rare car at this point...but the ENTIRE floor was gone..very little other than the body was even useable..short of the engine/trans/suspension..but 0-60 in 1min-15sec at a top speed of 62....the car would have NEVER been "fun" let alone practical..and then there was the safety factor of those TINY TINY drums and ever so tiny master cyl......and should i break ANYTHING on the engine or trans..no parts are available..altho "some" VW parts do fit.....overall i assessed the project step by step and said to myself..what will make ME want to drive the tires off the car?..what will keep me grinnin?......now that "some" of the micro and alfa community have seen the car in person..minds have been changed.....i built something that will indeed make any occupant grin and any onlookers scratching there head wondering *** there looking at while it just oozes cool....

i saved 2 cars from CERTAIN death!!! and made one hell of a unique beast..not all that far from finished
sh0rtlife/1958 lloyd - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the sad part is when someone BUTCHERS a car and doesnt finish it or does a piss poor install that could have been done cleaner and smoother

my personal fav is "what-if" cars...like a monty v8 stuffed into a spider but done as if the FACTORY had done it...or maybe a 2.5v6 spider complete with plat/TS transaxle?..im not talking a perfect 100pt resto..im talking a daily driver done up as if it was a factory prototype/test mule....the stuff that designers said "hey what about this" and some exec turned em down......to me those are more valuable than a "special" limited edition "production" car....short of stuff like the callaway gtv6..i view the callaway as a "protoytpe"/what-if car....it just made it off the paper into reality ..but in such small numbers

theres a time for being "pure" and a time for makeing something "fun"..some cars are simply to far gone to bring back to "pure"......and lets face it how many bone stock restored spiders lined up in a row at a car show does it take before youve seen soooooo much of the same thing that you lose enuf intrest and quit looking over every inch?.....then this one spider comes along with subtle touches and something "different" and rekindles your interest to start looking em over again...a line of all the same thing is like traffic on the freeway...BORING!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
PSK you seem to be in a gray area...part of which i was once in....looking at EFI, power brakes/abs..and anything other than carbs, points, and manual brakes as taking the "fun" out of cars....

the GTV6 changed me of that....i now respect EFI....still much rather have MANUAL brakes..which is why the lloyd ended up with tilton MC's( 1 front 1 rear 1 clutch)

its not about how the car was built or should be built..but what makes a car entertaining to drive....ya know ive NEVER used the radio in the gtv6 except when parked!!!...the song of the engine is enuf.....a "better" car does not make a worse driver..it allows a driver to push themselves further.....well within reason.....some of the new tranys are taking the driver out of it..same with the whole electronic steering....i have to agree traction control/launch control are just BS and deffinatly take the skill away from the driver...ABS on the other hand..im on the fence...but ive never been behind ABS that made me feel safe..in fact i trust it about as much as the drums on my 58 ford

you seem to now be focused more on "new" features more so than swapping good stuff into old cars....id agree with you on putting ABS into a pre 80's car as just being flat out WRONG! as its not with the "hotrod" way of things...EFI was once in that same list of wrong things to do...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
PSK i think the 2 of us are on the same track...on differnt planes....i picked alfa for its rareity and funess to drive..and CANT part with my gtv6 now..improve it ohh hell yes..TS transaxle, lowwered a little, stiffer spings with better shocks and what i belive to be S cams in the 2.5 with ansa free flow WITHOUT cats...still running on stock size tires...for now(but i will retain the stock wheels ON THE CAR!!)

i picked alfa for the lloyd for the sheer fact that the car needed updated to become fun...i "could" have picked any newwer car to do the swap from but picked alfa on the fun factor alone...i see the alfa transaxle platform as "perfection" in its own right/class be it 4cyl, 2.5/3.0 or even a 24v....

only time i see a swap of parts being "out of place" is when someone takes more than just the engine or suspension from a new car...like taking and installing airbags or traction control on something made before the mid 80's..engines, trans, even suspensions i see as simply upgrades with varying degree of difficulty of installation ....its the "luxury" stupid items i see as stupidly out of place...heated seats, air bags, abs, traction control, etc etc etc

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
at the end of the day if it makes the owner happy and keeps a smile on their face..swap away, mod away

me personaly i HATE LS swaps as much as 350 swaps..its just the same ole belly button being tosed around....now dont get me wrong..its IMPOSSIBLE to argue with the simplicity, cost, power, and availibility of..well...everything to do it..

im half with you on the alfa soul being the engine..NOT the body...atleast when it comes to the busso, its why my lloyd ended up how it is, however i always give a good nod to the guys doing the flat out unique, when you go looking for trouble of fitting something totaly unexpected, be it engine, trans or full blow chassis/suspension swaps, thats where i truely appreciate a build, id rather see some guy stuff a naughty rotary into a spider than an ls..just for the sheer uniqueness, hell a vw TDI into a gtv would be really cool too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts