Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Conversions/modifications have their place. I'd rather see a car destroied by someone experimenting as opposed to sitting under a tree filled with pidgeons. I must admit that I have committed sins against some cars such as the tiime that I put a Nail Head Buick engine in a Austin Healy 100. The outcome was terrible. Another time I put a Ford 289 in a XKE. The outcome was nothing less than staggering. The engine was more powerful, lighter, & the car handled better. What more could one ask.

My crowning acheavement was my Toyota Land Crusier. I liked the car because the chassis was tough and there was room as opposed to a Jeep CJ5. The Toyota got a Chevy 350, automagic trans, power steering, tilt telescope steering column, power brakes, & Detriot Lockers. Though I got many snears from the purists, that old Land Crusher would go where it was pointed and gave me faithful service for 25 years.

Sure some conversions raise eyebrows but where would we be without them. Consider such conversions as Shelby's 260 Ford into an AC Ace and look where that lead.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
sh0rtlife,

I like the way you think.

My car is not a sacred holy object. Nor have any of my other cars been that I have "improved". In a way it is a shame to butcher a rare valuable car. But hey I couldn't afford any of those anyway. Though I have defiled many cars I can draw the line.

A friend of mine had a '20 or '30 something Bentley. The car was a ratty driver with a nice interior, if you could call engine troubles every time he took it outside of the city limits a driver. But it could turn chicks heads from 100' away. He was so frustrated with the engine and the projected cost of real repair that I was asked to install a 250cid Chevy 6 in the car so he could enjoy the car on a Sunday afternoon without fear of a breakdown.

Though the car would have been more reliable and had twice the power I just couldn't bring myself to do it. That and the back of the Chevy block would have interfeared with the steering box. Frustrated, the car just languished in his garage with flat tires and cat hair. It was a shame.

In retrospect an engine transplant would have given the owner many pleasurable miles and who knows how many chicks he could have picked up. Instead the Bentley just rotted away waiting for the time & money to do a "proper" repair to the Bentley engine. Though an engine transplant would have devalued the car I think it was worth less after rotting away from neglect in a damp garage.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yeah its one thing if the car is genuinely a "special" car..with a very limited# made and in descent enuf condition to keep it stock

your right on that bently..its better to swap an engine than let the car die slowly..in that situation i would have made as FEW mods to the car as posible to do the swap so that in time the original engine could have been dropped back in as if it had never been removed thus keeping the car on the road but still capable of being brought back to its former glory

with my lloyd i posted a few pic's here and got flamed by the purists....and got flamed by the micro car purists as well on other places

....i saved a milano platinum from going to the impound yard as NO ONE WOULD BUY IT!!!..yeah it was a platinum 500$ forsale for more than 6months localy. had an oil leak but ZERO RUST! and descent paint/interior...the 1958lloyd is a shame i cut it up more so than the platinum..as its a rare car at this point...but the ENTIRE floor was gone..very little other than the body was even useable..short of the engine/trans/suspension..but 0-60 in 1min-15sec at a top speed of 62....the car would have NEVER been "fun" let alone practical..and then there was the safety factor of those TINY TINY drums and ever so tiny master cyl......and should i break ANYTHING on the engine or trans..no parts are available..altho "some" VW parts do fit.....overall i assessed the project step by step and said to myself..what will make ME want to drive the tires off the car?..what will keep me grinnin?......now that "some" of the micro and alfa community have seen the car in person..minds have been changed.....i built something that will indeed make any occupant grin and any onlookers scratching there head wondering *** there looking at while it just oozes cool....

i saved 2 cars from CERTAIN death!!! and made one hell of a unique beast..not all that far from finished
sh0rtlife/1958 lloyd - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
YouTube - 1958 lloyd fire up

the sad part is when someone BUTCHERS a car and doesnt finish it or does a piss poor install that could have been done cleaner and smoother

my personal fav is "what-if" cars...like a monty v8 stuffed into a spider but done as if the FACTORY had done it...or maybe a 2.5v6 spider complete with plat/TS transaxle?..im not talking a perfect 100pt resto..im talking a daily driver done up as if it was a factory prototype/test mule....the stuff that designers said "hey what about this" and some exec turned em down......to me those are more valuable than a "special" limited edition "production" car....short of stuff like the callaway gtv6..i view the callaway as a "protoytpe"/what-if car....it just made it off the paper into reality ..but in such small numbers

theres a time for being "pure" and a time for makeing something "fun"..some cars are simply to far gone to bring back to "pure"......and lets face it how many bone stock restored spiders lined up in a row at a car show does it take before youve seen soooooo much of the same thing that you lose enuf intrest and quit looking over every inch?.....then this one spider comes along with subtle touches and something "different" and rekindles your interest to start looking em over again...a line of all the same thing is like traffic on the freeway...BORING!
That's a big 10-4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts