Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #1
...and pay through the nose. At least they're new, courtesy of Bertelsbeck Automotive (Germany)

Registered
What parts are those?

Registered
Ahh, the original horn buttons. Nice. Always like that part of the Alfetta steering wheel.

Reactions: Del and SamSteinig

Premium Member
The stock 164 steering wheels have similar horn buttons, easy to touch with a thumb, not that I use the horn except very rarely.

Premium Member
79 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
What parts are those?
Yep, brand new buttons. Just installed these a couple of months ago on our 30 year project. They're a bit of a pain to install; be careful when you need to compress their length to get them to fit; only press/lever gently the outside of them with small flat blade; no pressure on anything inside the rim except the metal retainer tabs. It's classic Alfa fitment; I jacked one so I sucked it up not once but twice.

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, brand new buttons. Just installed these a couple of months ago on our 30 year project. They're a bit of a pain to install; be careful when you need to compress their length to get them to fit; only press/lever gently the outside of them with small flat blade; no pressure on anything inside the rim except the metal retainer tabs. It's classic Alfa fitment; I jacked one so I sucked it up not once but twice.
Thanks for the advice; I'll be verrrry careful. They weren't cheap!

Registered
A lot of times I just email OKP and ask for parts that don鈥檛 seem to be in their website. They usually have them.

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #10

Premium Member
Highwood Alfa also lists these horn buttons on their website(no price listed-site says "Just Ask"). I bought 2 sets of these buttons from Highwood several years ago-they were much cheaper than OKP!.

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #14
Highwood Alfa also lists these horn buttons on their website(no price listed-site says "Just Ask"). I bought 2 sets of these buttons from Highwood several years ago-they were much cheaper than OKP!.
Got mine from Bertelsbeck (Alfa Romeo Parts & Alfa Romeo Tuning - also Germany, not OKP); totally forgot that Highwood sells them, too! I will say, though, that OKP has great service; bought brakes last year, and they shipped faster than many U.S. folks :)

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, man. So the horn buttons work, but ONLY if the key is NOT in the ignition! The previous (previous) owner jury-rigged - get this - a doorbell button, which worked all the time. Now I have proper horn buttons, but I'm being punished. Juuuust great. Anybody else have this experience, or am I just lucky?

Registered
My car has the same symptom. A search on the BB led me to check the grounding strap on the steering column U- joint (in engine bay) as the likely culprit. Mine is missing so seems likely! Can't find a picture currently but I can take one tomorrow if needed.

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for the reminder. Yet another thing on the list to replace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, gonna check it today; a buddy of mine told me last night to check on that...

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #20
That was it! Wire was totally broken. Tested with a jumper and horn works 100%. Now to make a permanent one. It's tiny!

20210310_165055.jpg 20210310_165648.jpg 20210310_170144.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts