Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
LOL, that is what I'm talking about, a spider with ba##s! don't flaunt it unless you have it!:D

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Posted by Tifosi
Might be the valve isn't opening fully, the flow isn't good (pinched/partially blocked hose) or the thermostat isn't up to it.
I would also check the thermostat first... David, when the car is as warmed up as it's going to get, does the temp needle point straight up and does it stay vertical? It should. If it doesn't, that's a problem...

Tifosi,
Your "true tiem" is pretty entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Enrique, yes, when the car is/was fully warmed up, the thermo guage pointed straight up (175). Once steam came rushing out of the hood, it began to go further, that is when I quickly shut the engine down.

Edited for more detail: Yes, when the steam rushed out, I looked at the guage and it was straight up, I took notice of the steam from inside of the car moments later and looked at the guage again and it was at the 1 o clock mark, instead of 12.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You blew a hose or possibly the heater valve let go. Simple fix that a few beers won't fix when the weather warms up. Good luck on the repair and hang in there...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
We'll see tomorrow, hopefully the heater valve blew-gives me a reason to buy a new one:D

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thank you God!!! It was the upper radiator hose that broke! Nothing mighty expensive (a first).

·
Registered
235 Posts
You need to place that old hose in the 'Ddouglas77' hall of shame. It after all, allowed you to get lit last night!

Glad to hear it's simple. Might want to replace more than just that hose 'while you're at it'....

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Sweet! I'd still check out the rest of the system and DON'T use tap water in the cooling system please. Only distilled and antifreeze.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I've just got back from the "zone", picked up universal radiator hose as I don't have time to wait for IAP to ship me out one and am also now broke till payday. Time for the fix!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
All is fixed, now the kicker box install is hassling me:(

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
Whew! You really seem to get into it! This isn't too bad though. As Joe mentioned, it is MOST likely a hose. If AF is on the hood, it's either the upper hose from the rad. or more likely, a heater hose. If either busts up front, the fan blows AF all over the bottom of the hood, and everything else. Good AF won't take off paint, (or at best, not for me as yet!). Heater cores seldom go "poof", more like "bla--whaaop" with the resulting TERRIBLE interior mess. Steam is a side effect of almost any under hood hose failure, and even in summer it comes into the car to scare the poop out of you. For reasons unclear, people will replace the upper and lower rad. hose, but don't change out the heater hoses. I know, I don't replace them either until they fail. (And even then, ONLY the one that failed.{?}. I should know better.) Heater hoses like to bust at the water pump, at the heater valve, at curves by the firewall, at hose clamps. They get pin holes, blow outs, and curious slash like tears. They squirt, drip, and gush. HOWEVER like Joe Papa suggests, are almost (disclaimer) are never serious, or costly to repair.;) Keep us informed! :D Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You didn't fully read this did you Gordon? lol, you da man!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, I should change that statement, I replaced all of the hoses going to the reservoir and the bypass hose, which I discovered was rigged and no where near original. By the looks of it, I need new motor mounts as it appeared the upper hose was slashed side to side, much like you'd see if your engine was allowed to move around freely (side to side).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Posted by quadrifoglio
You still need to figure out why your heater isn't heating properly. Every spider I've owned has had incredibly good heat even in sub freezing weather.

I bet you have a partially blocked heater core. Take it to the shop and have them flush it for you!
David,
I was going to ask if the heater was working properly, when I saw Tim's post. He's right about how well the Spider heaters work, and knows a thing or two about Alfas! ;)

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That may just be the problem, definetly worth looking into, thanks Tim and Enrique-another problem down.

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
Douglas,
Did it ever work properly? Two possibilities, first, you may have an air embolism somewhere that requires the heater lines to be opened somewhere to let the air out, so hot water can circulate. Or is the hot water valve fully opening when you attempt to open it from the dash. I've seen some that only open half way. Take a look. Best, Gordon Raymond

41 - 60 of 62 Posts