Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
****, I have the same scoring on my head. Check your timing cover, does it have these marks as well? Mine did. As for the cause, I'm not shure either. Just wanted to let you know your not alone out there buddy ;)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Every cam follower I've ever seen (used ones anyway) look like the one in the pic. So IMO, I think it's normal.

A

·
0 Posts
chains almost always appear tight between cams, that side is the longest free point in the chain and where slack will end up, perhaps PO didn't have enough tension on chain. if so chain might have a slight "polish" to the top side.

·
Registered
453 Posts
That side of the chain should always be 'tight'. The lower gear is pulling the chain across the cams and down that side. The slack side is on the tensioner side; and if there is any slack in the chain it would accumulate on that side. I agree with osso; looks like a 'tight-spot' in the mfr of these cars. Or maybe the lock bolt on the tensioner had sliped or was not tight enough and let too much slack in the drive. When letting off the gas quickly the momentum of the chain/cams could allow the chain to bow out on the tension side. I would check the chain length; if it's overall length stretched more than 1/2 of a link, replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts