Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'64 Spider Normale (Bought new), now "abnormale"; '91 Spider Veloce
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember I've been replacing the carpeting in my S4 Spider Veloce, and this is leading me to a few more questions, namely, electrical in nature.
The emergency brake switch doesn't give 0 impedance when "plunger" is extended (as seen in the attachment). Is there some sort of repair to correct this (so far, I haven't found one to purchase)?
Also, I never realized there was a seat belt warning lamp (I'll check for a bad bulb). Should a buzzer be activated for this warning, as well?
Any suggestions/answers are welcome. IMG-2082.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Clean the contacts with fine sandpaper, Scotchbrite, etc.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
If you can't get it to work with a cleaning
ask at di Fatta for the PN 60523490 (their parts pdf is fairly old and probably not updated, as they are winding down, but it does list 2 in stock at 10.95 US)

about 10-15 euros over here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its remarkable how little corrosion it takes to block current flow. A good cleaning, followed by dielectric grease should take care of it. They're such simple devices.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
Also, I never realized there was a seat belt warning lamp (I'll check for a bad bulb). Should a buzzer be activated for this warning, as well?
Yes, it should light the light and make a boing-boing noise. It's the same noise you get with the ignition on and the driver door open.

If it boing-boings with the door but you don't get the seatbelt warning, your car was probably jumpered at the driver seat belt latch to remove this feature (or just unplugged, I forget which way disables it.) Someone did this to my S4 before I got it.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
It seems so simple, but I am unable to get our e brake switch to work. Shorting the lead to a good ground lights the light. I am looking for an alternate switch, maybe a sealed unit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you haven't done it already, check the switch when it is in the closed position (brake engaged) for continuity. If that checks out okay, I'd check the continuity of the ground wire - it could be broken within the sheath. If that checks out, then the only other thing would be the ground connection to the tunnel. Use dielectric grease on everything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arg - this is the first I've heard of that news. Super bummer. :-(
Thanks to all for your help. Never stops amazing me the speedy replies posted!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arg - this is the first I've heard of that news. Super bummer. :-(
Just got one of the last 2 from Di Fatta...
Thanks for the tip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts