Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Question 2: Nobody seems to need or want to strengthen the bottom end. Is this because of the long stroke length meaning high rpm is never going to happen?, although I would have thought that Jim's Boneville engine was trying it's hardest to push the crank out through the sump even @ 7000 rpm. These blocks to me don't look that strong, compared to a Subaru, Porsche or Sud, etc.
Pete
Who says no one strengthens the bottom end? A good windage tray provides good support for a normally aspirated 2 liter ... FWIW, the material is 50% thicker than the engine pylons on a DC10. And if the rules allow a dry sump, the pan can double as a girdle.

oil_pan1936s.jpg

oil_pan1933s.jpg
windage tray8811.jpg

·
Administrator
12,143 Posts
Pete If the deck is welded in how would you change the liners later if needed?
Tim
The deck plate only locates (sideways) the liners, it does not sandwich/trap them (vertically. Head still required). Even the one this thread was opened about.

So you would replace the liners just as you do now, by a liner puller. Just need to ensure the top of the liner diameter is no smaller than the bottom where the oil seal goes.
Pete

·
Administrator
12,143 Posts

·
Administrator
12,143 Posts
Pete take a close look at the deck at the beginning of the post.
Tim
Ah, oh I see they have machined a step in the top of the liners. I wouldn't have.
Pete

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks like a must have mod for every racer out there that can't afford a monobloc setup....unless of course the all in cost for this mod is equal to the cost of a monobloc.
A monobloc can create different heat and water cooling issues. Autodelta discovered that issue very often already 50 years ago.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
In case anybody wants to do this to a V6 block there's a guy on ebay selling a 2.5L V6 block that has had all the cylinder head studs removed. I've no affiliation with him, no interest blah blah

eBay item number: 163919598102

·
Administrator
12,143 Posts
Wonder how much it would cost to cast a block with modifications/enhancements in a few areas? Or would that be considered cheating?

Pete

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Who says no one strengthens the bottom end? A good windage tray provides good support for a normally aspirated 2 liter ... FWIW, the material is 50% thicker than the engine pylons on a DC10. And if the rules allow a dry sump, the pan can double as a girdle.

View attachment 1609856
View attachment 1609855 View attachment 1609857
Some very nice work there Jim.

Pan can double as girdle how about girdle to double as main bearing caps to solidify the lower assembly? Perhaps the next evolution on the vulnerable nord block?

S2000 with it stratospheric red line had this feature 20yrs ago

·
Registered
147 Posts
Notice that the actual main caps are not aluminum ... presumably steel. I have made steel main caps on a couple occasions, but it's overkill for all but the most extreme. The OEM's are using them in order to run very close clearances and low viscosity oil.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Surprised I missed this one. Very interesting solution that I gave some thought to. My power goals are not quite so lofty, so I'm staying with the open deck for now.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts