Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictures are taken before the final finish mill on the deck surface. Building this to eventually replace the already very impressive turbocharged stock 2.0L in my spider. Done by CNCWerx in New Hampshire, a process called Cylinder Support System. Basically the sleeves are installed with a sealant, a lip is machined around the inside of the block and the outside of the sleeves, a perfect fit ring is CNC machined then pressed in, and at the end the deck is milled flat just enough to clean up the surface (not pictured yet). The goal is 400+bhp with a larger turbo, cams, lower comp forged pistons, and some forged h beam rods. It has been said before that maintaining the head gasket seal is the most difficult part of building a high power Nord, due to the liners moving. This should cure that problem. If anyone is interested you can contact Jeff at Cylinder Support System. I am not affiliated with CSS, but I am very impressed with his work and happy that he was able to take on the project, as his usual work revolves mostly around high power Honda engines. Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand it correctly, this both keeps them from moving laterally and up/down? Impressive.
Well, the up/down movement isn't usually an issue because the sleeve bottoms out in the block and is normally held down tight by the head. The lateral movement is the concern, especially with the long stroke of the 2.0L creating a large thrust force on the side of the sleeve which worsens with increased RPM and cylinder pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
That's a very neat piece of work. This is certainly an alternative to the old drop in "Monoblock" used by Autodelta and also the one made by Jim Steck for the turbocharged Bonnieville spider.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Impressive.

Always wondered if they was enough meat in the head to be able to machine recesses for the liners to fit into, but then how do you stop the head walking sideways? So this is superior.

I assume the monoliner though makes the block more rigid?

Pete

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice looking work. And good to see you used an early block ... with better coolant flow to the head. There will be a level where the unsupported deck under the exhaust port will distort enough from cylinder pressure that a composite head gasket will fail, but there are alternatives if you need them.

What are you planning for transmission and differential?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
If reducing lateral movement is the goal, wouldn't it be easier to make some spacers for each side of each cylinder instead of this large piece?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If reducing lateral movement is the goal, wouldn't it be easier to make some spacers for each side of each cylinder instead of this large piece?
How do you hold these spacers in place?
Pete

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Three Cheers to you Mr. xAuto
I've seen this technique applied to Honda engines and always wanted to see it done to a Nord engine. Now the questions.
How hard was it to remove the cylinder head studs?
Are you going to install the stock cylinder studs or something else?
The stock cylinder head studs simply screw into the aluminium block, correct? Are you going to stay with that or are you going to with a Timesert or something?

The liners, are they Alfa or custom made?
Bye

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
How do you hold these spacers in place?
I don't know that. I was really just thinking out loud if there was a simpler way. The piece is beautiful, don't get me wrong. I'd love to have one. And will probably work perfectly.

What got me thinking was the comment about the lateral movement causing the real issues in our engines. Should you hug the liners from all sides, or could just stabalizing them on each side be enough? Maybe cut a similar shoulder on each side and insert a tight fitting piece of aluminum?

Again, just thinking outloud. If there are flaws in my thinking, I'll accept that.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Maybe you could bolt them (the spacers) in place through the side of the block?

That becomes something a home mechanic could possibly do?
Pete

·
Registered
144 Posts
What got me thinking was the comment about the lateral movement causing the real issues in our engines. Should you hug the liners from all sides, or could just stabalizing them on each side be enough? Maybe cut a similar shoulder on each side and insert a tight fitting piece of aluminum?
Point support will push the liner out of round ... they are quite flexible and need full support to stay anywhere close to round. Hand pressure alone can distort them several thousandths of an inch.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nice looking work & should be more than up to the job. Of course, back in Italy, Novamotor & others were doing this on Nord & Twinspark engines back in the '80s! A-holics also currently does much the same thing.
Back to the future!

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Excuse me, but your link connects to a photo of the aluminum monobolck in the Bonneville spider ... made and raced here in the USA. 😎
oops....very sorry about that, that is indeed a link to a photo from one of your own posts showing the Bonneville spider.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts