Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? I've go pretty much every book but can't find the float level!

I know the level is measured between the top of the gasket and the top of the flat section of the float. Mine vary (different engines) from 32mm to 36mm.

thanks,

John

·
Push hard and live
10,661 Posts
Solex float levels

You didn't say which engines you were working on, but here are the two relevant sections from the 102 (2000) and `106 (2600) shop manuals.

First is 102, second is 106

I note that the 102 instructions tell one to bend the float arm to effect an adjustment, whereas the 106 manual cautions against this and says to add washers under the needle and seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don, working on a 2600. I've got this, but it seems like a very complicated way of doing things. You measure the depth, adjust the float, but then have to put the covers back on, reattach fuel pipes, fire up the engine, take apart, re-measure depth etc.

The Glenn's Tune Up Guide explains where to take the float level measurement, just not what it should be (see pic).

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
10,661 Posts
The factory shop manuals do not use the method you picture above. You simply remove the tops of the carburetors after filling them to their set level, then measure the depth with a vernier micrometer as pictured. Of course, in this case you are measuring to the top of the aluminum body, NOT with the gasket still installed. Also, note the instruction on the 2600 to NOT bend the tab, but to change the number of gaskets under the valve body to effect the filling level.

After making an adjustment, you must reinstall the carburetor lids, turn on the fuel pump, refill the carbs, and do it all over again until you get where you need to be. Be sure there is some fuel removed from the carbs before reinstalling the lids, as they may not drain when you reinstall the top and give you a false "high" later on.

In practice, a little variation from the 28-30 is not going to shockingly change the behavior. I just had a leaky float in a Weber that ruined two cylinders, but a millimeter one way or the other won't cause such dramatic problems.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I'm not aware of any measurements or procedures for float level adjustments other than what is described in the shop manual. There are two TSBs (No. 1.03.034 dated 25-Aug-1961 for 102 cars and No. 1.06.004 dated 09-Oct-1962 for 106 cars) that describe adjustment and synchronization of the PHH carbs once the float level is set.

Please note that the instructions in the 106 shop manual are to make the adjustment by changing the shims under the needle valve, not by adding or removing gaskets on the body nor by bending the float arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts