Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Solex question while I'm at it....

When I was reassembling the carburetor and tightening the nuts (quite gently) on the little assembly that the air filter attaches to, one of the studs (pictured here with arrows) started lifting out of the carb. Does anyone know how these studs are attached to the carb? I.e. are they screwed in or pressed in? And if they come loose, how do you re-secure them?

Cheers,
AA

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Pretty sure those would be threaded. If it's spinning and not going up or down, it's either a press fit, or stripped, so you don't have much to lose by pulling it out to see. To reinstall, use the loctite that's for securing studs? I forget which number. This is cheap cast Zamac or something; Solexes were not made as well as Webers and they often did press stuff in, like accel pump jets.
Andrew

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
If that is a 32 PAIA.5 for a 1600, and i think so, it looks like someone replaced the 4 top screws with over sized studs... Probably for the expected reasons. I would live with them and helicoil the stripped one because it probably for sure is stripped. The parts book doesn't define the size of the original bolts. I'll guess they were originally 5 mm and now the studs are probably 6 mm... Just my eye sayin'. I wouldn't trust Loctite if the threads are stripped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts