Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone give me info on who is the Solex expert !

I have a pair off a 2000/102 and three (3) from a 2600 both touring spiders

That need total rebuild

Also looking for complete WEBER set up for both

Thank you
Al

My email is
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Hi Al,

I don't know of any Solex 44 PHH experts in North America (they seem to be in Germany and Austria, where a rebuild costs about EUR 900 per carb). The greatest weakness of the Solex carbs seems to be that the seals around the butterfly valve bearings start leaking (allowing false air to enter and making the mixture lean) and that wear of these bearings leads to imprecise butterfly valve function -- which leads to problems with progression from idle to acceleration (and tuning problems where behavior changes without any changes to setup). Correcting these problems is what makes rebuilding these carbs so expensive.

FWIW, I just posted some links to Solex information here that may help you understand how these carbs work.

Please note that there are differences between 102 (2000) and 106 (2600) and Mercedes 190 SL carbs that may make them not completely interchangeable despite the same Solex 44 PHH designation (but there are differences in the bodies that allow some degree of identification where the carbs came from).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Al,

I don't know of any Solex 44 PHH experts in North America (they seem to be in Germany and Austria, where a rebuild costs about EUR 900 per carb). The greatest weakness of the Solex carbs seems to be that the seals around the butterfly valve bearings start leaking (allowing false air to enter and making the mixture lean) and that wear of these bearings leads to imprecise butterfly valve function -- which leads to problems with progression from idle to acceleration (and tuning problems where behavior changes without any changes to setup). Correcting these problems is what makes rebuilding these carbs so expensive.

FWIW, I just posted some links to Solex information here that may help you understand how these carbs work.

Please note that there are differences between 102 (2000) and 106 (2600) and Mercedes 190 SL carbs that may make them not completely interchangeable despite the same Solex 44 PHH designation (but there are differences in the bodies that allow some degree of identification where the carbs came from).

That is the same problem with weber 40 DCNF so when we rebuild them we put in a sealed shaft bearing $9 each use 2
THe kits cost us only $50 plus 4 hours labor

If we could find webers set up meaning manifold and correct linkage it might be the way to go

Best regards
Al

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
FWIW, this German page by Fritz Wallner shows what's required to machine new butterfly valves, and here he shows how to identify 190 SL carbs (click on the pictures to see more detail).

It would be great to find somebody in North America who could do this work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, this German page by Fritz Wallner shows what's required to machine new butterfly valves, and here he shows how to identify 190 SL carbs (click on the pictures to see more detail).

It would be great to find somebody in North America who could do this work.

Great info !

Yes it would be

Thank you

Al

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
A friend of mine, Mark Dubovic in Florida restores carbs and he has a Two-Liter so I am pretty sure that he is familiar with the Solex Phh44's. His email address is
dcoecarbguy (@) earthlink (.) net or 813-786-7534. Mark advertises in the Alfa Owner every month along with Gary Martin (605) 430-7368 who also restores Webers to be "virtually indistinguishable from NEW". Perhaps it would be worth a call to them both to see who can help. It may be a good idea to source rebuild kits ahead of time.
Mark

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine, Mark Dubovic in Florida restores carbs and he has a Two-Liter so I am pretty sure that he is familiar with the Solex Phh44's. His email address is
dcoecarbguy (@) earthlink (.) net or 813-786-7534. Mark advertises in the Alfa Owner every month along with Gary Martin (605) 430-7368 who also restores Webers to be "virtually indistinguishable from NEW". Perhaps it would be worth a call to them both to see who can help. It may be a good idea to source rebuild kits ahead of time.
Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks so much for the info ! Will give him a call tomorrow

Regards
Al

·
Push hard and live
10,900 Posts
Al,

You just received an FNM manifold and two Weber 40DCOM carburetors from me that will fit your 102 very nicely. Are you looking for a SECOND Weber conversion set-up for the 102? If so, you can purchase a manifold from OKP, and of course, DCOE/M carburetors can be found many places.

As we discussed, the only things necessary to install the FNM/Weber set up on your 102 will be the four rubber isolators, and I provided a link to a source for those, a throttle cable kit, a carburetor brace, and two K&N filters. The throttle kit is offered by Webcon in the UK, and when you are ready for it I can provide pictures of how it goes together. Very, very simple. The support rod is easy enough to make, and the K&N are off-the-shelf items. Are you working on a second 102?

When you get close, we can discuss the jetting I have in my DCOM's on the 2300. While you will probably use a smaller venturi for the 2000, otherwise it should be straight-forward Weber tuning.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Solex rebuild kits for Solex C30 ADDHE, for a gt junior 1300, need to find 2 rebuild kits.
Help! Thanks Will
Will, you may get better results posting this question in the GT (1963-1977) forum, where it will get much more exposure.

EDIT: I googled briefly for Solex ADDHE and it appears to be most likely a C40 (not C30) and then it depends if its is a model 32 or 19/24/29 -- in both cases, repair kits seem to be available from a number of sources.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solex carburetor rebuilding

Hello All,
There is a guy in Texas that appears to do a really thorough job of rebuilding Solex PHH 44 carburetors for Mercedes 190's. He has a bunch of videos and a channel on YouTube. His shop is called S&S Imports. His YouTube name is wfs52.
S&S Imports
Mr. Will Samples
3303 Wendy Lane
Dallas, Texas 75214
Tel. 214-826-5977
FAX 214-826-5294
e mail: ssimports at sbcglobal.net

I hope this helps.
Bill LeConte

·
Registered
9,701 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, sorry, not very active. My only connection to Alfa's is the Solex44PHH carbs, of which I am doing a set now. Anyone have a blowup diagram of these carbs they can email to me at ssimports @ sbcglobal.net? Also, these have interesting jetting compared to the 190SL Solex. Anyone have jetting info so I can confirm what I have is correct?
Thank you,
Will

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
e-mail sent.

FWIW, here's the jetting information for 2000 and 2600 engines, as stated in their shop manuals. Note the differences for choke sizes and jetting, most likely a result of the difference in displacement per cylinder (about 493 cc for 2000 vs. about 430 cc for 2600).

102 (2000):
Pub. 801 - p.017 (700 wide).jpg

106 (2600):
Pub. 1010  - p.014 (700 wide).jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts