Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
before I start I want to say sorry to any one who sent private messages to me,I have just discovered them.
I have refitted head after having it skimmed,new guides,valves and shims set up,after running for a while petrol started dripping from under carb nearest the bulkhead,I have walked away from it for a while,has anyone got any idea what could be happening,It is not leaking from the top but underneath carb,I need to get a mirror to see,but wondered if any one had same problem.
On another subject does any one convert the manifolds to take webbers,I have read lots on this site but cant find any one to do the job.
thanks chris. P>S> just got a giulia sprint gt,great little car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chris, I can't help with your fuel leak but I have just been through a similar process with the manifold. My work was overseen by DTR European Sportscars in Coulsdon (020 8645 5050, Paul de Turris and Andy Warboys) but the Solex manifold was de-siamised on their recommendation by Steve at Vulcan Engineering in Kent (01474 874 689, Vulcan Engineering) and he also did the jetting on his rolling road. Manifold work cost £650 and the rolling road session cost £120.

Good luck.

·
Push hard and live
10,181 Posts
Apart from the fact that the Solex's tend to drip on a good day...

You might replace the needle and seat and confirm it's adjusted correctly.

Virtually every other Alfa has their carbs slanted upward just a bit, improving the odds that loose fuel will drain into the engine. Not the 102. Thus, they tend to dribble outward. Apart from making sure the needle and seat and gaskets are good, not much you can do about it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with Don.
But... If you haven't thought about the following you should:

1. New OKP manifold (apprx £300) will lift your carbs by 5 deg (possibly solving your problem)
2. New Dell Ortos or Webers will perform much much better and not leak at the float bowl or air plenum (definately solving your problem)
3. New gasket sets and repair of Solex could work (gaskets will work but overhaul might not if the carbs are too worn)
4. Use 40 carbs not 45s (nor PH44s) with 30 chokes (poss 32) you'll get clean revs through all the range, no flat spot, and plenty of torque and enough top end to keep you at 90mph on the motorway happily.
5. Make sure your timing and cams are set tip-top and that you're using good NGK plugs with .9mm gaps with a massive spark coil like the Pertronix Flamethrower.

If it helps, look at my engine rebuild posts: "From Good to Great... sprint parts needed" it is about a 102 engine not a 106 but there are many many similarities.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Do you have the drain tubes in place?

Solex PHH44 carburetors leak. The factory realized it and made arrangements for small diameter plastic hoses to attach to the "nipples" on their bottoms to carry raw gas down through a "holder" bolted to the edge of the pan cover so the gas will drip on the ground. But even so the raw gas seems to end up dripping into the seam of the fender and the unibody connection just at the outside ends of the carburetors. That happens when the gas droplets that were drawn in and originally aerated hit slack area and the gas precipitates out. That condition is called "too rich". On two liter I always set front idle needle at 1 1/4 turns open and the rear at 1/4. On 2600 there is only one needle valve per carburetor. Anyway, check and you will see the black paint is probably gone and the metal shiny in that seam just under the outside joint of carburetor and cold air box. I long ago siamesed the intake manifold and use webers. However, you can help your solex carburetors just a bit by making sure the counterweights are not hung up and promptly close the secondaries on lower rpms. When they stay open there is just too much gas drawn in. A bit of oil does wonders, and the little screens can be cleaned that are where the diaphrams get air. They are under the little cups held on by the single screw.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi
thanks for imput,I have looked through this site and there are so many differing views on changing carbs,I will try to sort out the solex carbs for now,I have a spare inlet manifold and will get this converted.I have noticed if the car is run at higher revs than tick over the fuel leak slows almost to a stop,which could mean its over fueling ,will check the settings and try again.
cheers chris

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Hi Chris,
My experience with Solexes is that the needle/seats ALWAYS leak, causing the float bowls to overfill and dribble gas into main the venturis under low load conditions. The symptoms are minimized at higher RPM since the correct float levels can be maintained under those conditions. Long idle periods allow the float level to creep up, ending in unwanted fuel spillover. This is an even bigger problem if fuel pressure is maintained after the engine is shut down, as a significant amount of fuel can end up in the manifold or on the inner fender well. As an experiment, you might try adding a pressure regulator to reduce the pressure to the carbs to as low as possible. This might cure your problem. Good luck.
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts