Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Giulia Super 1300
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1972 Giulia Super with Solex Carbs. The car runs great once warm, but if left to sit and gets cold it takes quite a bit of cranking before it will start to catch. Even then it will take a few more attempts until it stays running. I do a full choke and pull the throttle out a little.
It has a new gas pump, and all points, pugs, wires etc. Any suggestions or is that normal. I have run a compression test and all the numbers are within specs.
thanks in advance for any ideas.
mike Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
802 Posts
If your carbs are older and have a lot of miles on them your shafts, shaft bushings if you have them and or butterflies could have some wear and may need to be replaced. I have found that it does take a little while a minute or 2 to get an alfa engine running well at idle and longer at throttle with my weber carbs. In theory a choke is not needed with these type of side draft carbs and each set has its own mind I have found to starting the car when cold or warm.

·
Registered
1972 Giulia Super 1300
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. It does take a 1-2 min, then the idle evens out and then another few minutes and it is ready to go. Once it hits operating temp it runs perfect. It may just be how it is for now. I will consider a rebuild after the car is back from getting painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. This is older technology and I have found each car acts differently and you just have to get used to what it likes in my opinion. My Porsche 911 with carbs liked to go once I fired it up with a 30 second warm up max. Other makes not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
What effect does 3-4 pumps on the throttle (before turning the key) have?
Try this with and without choke.

·
Registered
1972 Giulia Super 1300
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually do not pump the throttle. I will try that when I get the car back. The other old British cars I have (MGB, MGBGT and Austin Healey) do not need to have the throttle pumped since it does nothing for them in the starting process.
From what I am gathering, the experience I am having is somewhat normal with the Alfa.

By the way this has become my favorite to drive. I am hooked and have the bug to find another to add.
thanks again, mike

·
Registered
802 Posts
Carbs are different on the British cars. They have SU or Stomberg and are different animals. Try pumping 3 or 4 times like Ranz said and then keep your foot on the pedal some when it starts and you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
24,447 Posts
Yes, for sure some pumps. SU's have no accel pumps, all the Alfa carbs do. And on Solex use full choke if you haven't been. Might be weak fuel pump deliver if these changes don't help.
And as always, check integrity of ignition system first, point gap, plug condition, etc, if you have a normal points system.
Andrew

·
Registered
1972 Giulia Super 1300
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the great info. I will follow your advice. That has been my only real issue has been starting.

·
Premium Member
1973 Guilia Super 1.3 | 1750 Engine with Weber DCOE 40 Tipo 32
316 Posts
I just switched from dual Solex to Webers... but when I had the Solex, cold starts were the same as you described. Once warm they were fine. Here is the routine that worked best for me

1. several pump of accel pedal, no choke, some throttle when engine catches
2. add in choke if required if it won't idle
3. if #1 does not work, set choke to full then restart with some throttle
4. My car seemed to like choke for a bit until warmed up.

(honestly it was different every time it seems!)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I have Solex’s on my 75 Nuova Super and start up are fine, idle is a bit low until warm. I have found them to be very forgiving, even with jetting changes from stock to accommodate my RJR cams and 30 mm chokes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts