Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm rebuilding one of these carbies - why you may well ask - and have got to the small damper. Quite recently someone else was asking about this part but I can't remember who or when and I've searched the BB with no luck.

My question is - what type of oil goes in the damper? I'm guessing a light machine oil, but I'm not sure.

Kind regards,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hi Chris,

Don´t know about the oil and am sure someone answers your query on that pretty soon, instead I´d like to ask you if the dumper rubber boot in your pic is new and if so, where did you source it?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dennis,

The boot is the original item and is in remarkably good condition - still soft and pliable with no splits.

However, I am chasing a source for spares so I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They were one of the companies that I emailed this weekend.

The parts I need are the quirky little bits - the arm that hold the choke cable, a couple of long brass screws, the lever that controls the secondary throttle plate etc.

Most of them I'll find, adapt or make. I'm in no great hurry as I have a 36DCD on the engine at the moment, but if any future owner ever wants absolute originality, they can replace the Weber with a rebuilt Solex.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Hi Chris,I'd like to get a boot or two for the damper as well,hope you find a source.I've read on a Mercedes Benz site(I think Ponton)that if nothing else,a bellows for R/C(radio control)boats can be fitted. When I got my 61'spider,the damper mechanism was wired open and didn't seem to make much difference. There has been discussion about using lighter weights,or even removing the plates completely for better performance.AFA oil,here's a poor scan of a lube chart from an owners manual,Phil D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Hydraulic oil for Damper Piston

Chris
The correct oil for use in the damper piston on the SOLEX C35 APAI G carburetor is hydraulic oil, ISO 32.
While SAE 10 weight motor oil has a similar viscosity and will initially function in the damper, motor oil contains additives that emulsify moisture and keep it in suspension. This is not what you want in a damper piston.

Regarding the parts you're missing on your C35 - Gower & Lee will not have them as they carry parts for SOLEX C32 PAIA .. the carbs used on 1600 Giulia engines.

While I could supply the needed parts, you can fabricate functional substitutes with a little effort.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.
As you say, most of the parts can be made up to fit and the brass screws can be sourced with little trouble.
I'm also sure that, if required, I can find a spare rubber boot.
Rebuild gasket kits are also available.
The only part that I may have trouble with is the arm that holds the choke cable. I may have to hunt around for a 'parts' carby.
Chris

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Has anyone checked with Mercedes to see whether they have the boots? Model 220 and 190 cars from the 50s used a similar German-made Solex.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Are there any newly manufactured float cover gaskets for these carburetors? The NOS ones are shriveled junk. Even after a soaking, the ones that I have found aren't great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts