Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still looking for a Solex 35 for my Giulietta (against the advise of some of you...) but I have a few questions:

Are all Solex C35 APAI-G the same? As long as I get a C35 APAI-G will I be ok?

The parts manual for Giulietta lists 4 different Alfa part numbers for the same Solex C35 APAI-G number (see extract of parts manual below). And the 102 Alfas also used the Solex C35 APAI-G

My car falls into the second number 1315.52.415, should I look for something specific, or would any one do just fine?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
You can run a Solex. Just that most of the original ones are quite worn and it takes an expert to rebuild one correctly.
This costs $$.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Not sure I agree that wear is as much of a concern as for the Weber DCO's - the pulses in the intake tract near the throttles in the Webers makes for more wear than you will see on the Solexes, where the common intake plenum dampens the pulsing action.

Aside: As far as I'm concerned the big advantage of the DCOEs over the DCOs is the ball bearing mounted throttle shafts, which are more resistant to intake tract pulsations. Probably the experts, here, and there are a number of them, will rip that opinion apart in a hurry.

When you go shopping for a Solex, try to find one with the secondary throttle damper - this is the later version which also includes improved ports connecting the accelerator pump reservoir with the float chamber to reduce the effect of cornering on the float level. The early ones were notable for fuel starvation on long right hand turns, which was corrected with these ports. The ports can be added to an earlier Solex, too. If you get one with the throttle damper, you may find that the cover has a pipe to take a push on hose for the fuel supply. Your car, like all the 750s that I have seen, had a more elegant banjo bolt arrangement.

The Solex APAI-G was specific to the Giulietta, as far as I know. I am not sure what was specified for Solexes on other contemporary Alfa models, so I might be wrong there. Mercedes used a nearly identical German made Solex on the some models, but I don' think that they will interchange.

Careful setting of the float level is a key to good performance from the Solex. The Mercedes instructions on this are better than those provided by Alfa.

Be careful of the gaskets when you take your Solex apart, as you will probably have to reuse them. I have not found a source for the cover gasket, in particular.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you go shopping for a Solex, try to find one with the secondary throttle damper - this is the later version which also includes improved ports connecting the accelerator pump reservoir with the float chamber to reduce the effect of cornering on the float level. The early ones were notable for fuel starvation on long right hand turns, which was corrected with these ports. The ports can be added to an earlier Solex, too. If you get one with the throttle damper, you may find that the cover has a pipe to take a push on hose for the fuel supply. Your car, like all the 750s that I have seen, had a more elegant banjo bolt arrangement.
Thank you

So would this one have the throttle damper? I have no idea how to tell, except maybe from the pipe?

Will the numbers after the model number tell me something?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
That looks like a later one, with the push on fuel inlet. The changeover for the inlet came with the change to the front cover mounted fuel pumps with the 101 engine. That carburetor should have a damper, but it's missing. It is also missing the bracket for the starter enrichment cable.

P.S. I'm sure that the numbers after the type number will tell us something, but I don't know how to interpret them. Probably a serial number, but it is so long that I assume some information is coded in there.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like a later one, with the push on fuel inlet. The changeover for the inlet came with the change to the front cover mounted fuel pumps with the 101 engine. That carburetor should have a damper, but it's missing. It is also missing the bracket for the starter enrichment cable.

P.S. I'm sure that the numbers after the type number will tell us something, but I don't know how to interpret them. Probably a serial number, but it is so long that I assume some information is coded in there.
Thanks, it will help me understand what to look for

Does someone have a picture of a compete one without anything missing?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Be careful of the gaskets when you take your Solex apart, as you will probably have to reuse them. I have not found a source for the cover gasket, in particular.
You could either pretty easily fabricate new gasket yourself out of a gasket material sheet, or order new ones along with other Solex parts from this company in England Gower & Lee Solex PAIA Page

P.S. They also have (or rather had) spare parts for APAIG. I´ve ordered needle valves, diaphragms, gaskets and some other spares with them for two of my APAIGs a couple of years ago.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Sorry, it took me a while to pull out my spare carburetors and photograph them. As far as I know, there are four main variations of the APAI-G. The photos below show the second and fourth versions side by side, the early version on the left. This will show you where the damper goes. The role of the damper is to dampen the motion of the second throttle in the secondary barrel. If you study the arrangement, it is pretty much self-explanatory. I think.

Anyway, the first version, not shown here, has no damper, and the casting of the main body is different. The second version, shown below, still had no damper. The third version added the throttle damper but still had the banjo bolt connection for the fuel feed (the chrome bolt for which appears on the second version carburetor in the photos). The fourth version, also shown below, was for the 101 cars, with the front cover mounted fuel pump and push on hose connection for the fuel feed.

There are some internal differences, too. Most notable of these is the improved porting between the accelerator pump reservoir and the float chamber. Later versions were improved. Earlier versions can be adapted.

My January 1959 Spider, 1495.05875, has the third version APAI-G including the improved ports to the accelerator pump reservoir.

Note: the linkage to the secondary throttle on the version two carburetor in the photos is disconnected. I hope this isn't too confusing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Following up on this topic, still looking for a correct Solex

I can't tell from the angle of the pictures if this one is a late one with the damper or not, I'd appreciate some help with it. I have asked the seller for more pictures but don't have them yet.

i know it's missing quite a few parts and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble or not.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The type of Solex 35 APAIG carb will depend upon the date of your car. The Solex that is in the above photo looks like the one that is used on an earlier 750 Giulietta Sprint or Spider and is the correct one for your car according to your original post. The damper was not used on this carb. The carb is missing a few parts and some of them can be purchased from Gower and Lee in the UK. I used to own a 1957 Spider that used the same Solex 35 APAIG carb.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The type of Solex 35 APAIG carb will depend upon the date of your car. The Solex that is in the above photo looks like the one that is used on an earlier 750 Giulietta Sprint or Spider and is the correct one for your car according to your original post. The damper was not used on this carb. The carb is missing a few parts and some of them can be purchased from Gower and Lee in the UK. I used to own a 1957 Spider that used the same Solex 35 APAIG carb.
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts