Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Helping a friend with his 1993 164 twinspark.

It seems to have some dodgy wiring on what looks like a 3rd party alarm system, where some wires look to be missing from a relay in the boot.

It worked fine until he removed the battery to charge it but the wires must have been loose as after re-installing the battery the alarm kept triggering itself and although still ignition lights there is now zero life from the starter, which worked perfectly before. No solenoid action or voltage drop when turning the key to start it.

Is there a way to feed power directly to the solenoid to at least try starting it? Any particular fuses or relays to check?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Factory Alarm system disables starter solenoid. So I suspect if OEM or aftermarket set up still armed you have to find a way to dearm it. Does he have remote to be able to arm and dearm the system? Factory system on our USA models has a small key to dearm system at siren on right side of rear trunk (boot) under carpet. Dearming it before you remove battery prevents siren from sounding off as it has its own internal battery.

On our models you have purple and purple-black wires you can jumper in center console to bypass factory alarm system. Now purple starter relay energizing wire at ignition switch goes directly to purple-black wire at I10 starter relay under dash near radio.

Here is how I did it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1136699-post14.html

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory Alarm system disables starter solenoid. So I suspect if OEM or aftermarket set up still armed you have to find a way to dearm it. Does he have remote to be able to arm and dearm the system? Factory system on our USA models has a small key to dearm system at siren on right side of rear trunk (boot) under carpet. Dearming it before you remove battery prevents siren from sounding off as it has its own internal battery.

On our models you have purple and purple-black wires you can jumper in center console to bypass factory alarm system. Now purple starter relay energizing wire at ignition switch goes directly to purple-black wire at I10 starter relay under dash near radio.

Thanks Steve,

Turned off siren with phillips small call after re-disconnecting battery to stop the alarm. Assumed it is aftermarket as radio not infra-red fobs but they do have Alfa Romeo printed on them.
Anyway, the symptom is de-activated starter solenoid so will pull up the centre console and look for the purple wires.

Many thanks,

Richard :)

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Turned off siren with phillips small call after re-disconnecting battery to stop the alarm. Assumed it is aftermarket as radio not infra-red fobs but they do have Alfa Romeo printed on them.
Anyway, the symptom is de-activated starter solenoid so will pull up the centre console and look for the purple wires.

Many thanks,

Richard :)
Give me chassis number (VIN) so we can see what factory system it came with because if 93 facelift it may have Master chip key with transponder.

If it does I don't have a clue about system.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Philips tri sonic PH404

Hi Steve,

Have pulled the central consol to find the purple wires. Didn't find purple ones but did find a couple of maybe's, indicated by arrow in the central consul areas pic. The Philips immobiliser unit and looks like a factory installation.

It is a Tri-Sonic PH404 and the remote fob, with Alfa Romeo printed on it, is labelled MPT 1340. It's a radio not an infra-red system.

There are also a couple of ultrasonic sensors, one on each A-pillar. These don't look factory installed but still could be.

Some odd electrics in the boot behind the battery, with after market connectors and a multi-pin relay with 3 of the pins not connected to anything.

After turning off the siren with the small philips key the small light on the central consol has gone out. When the car was running before the battery was disconnected it showed green but went red after the battery was re-installed and the solenoid had it's power cut.

Sorry, forgot to get the VIN.

Any ideas?

Richard

The unit is a Philips Tri Sonic PH404

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
You got me I don't have a clue or any data on this system.

You are probably going to have to find somebody in UK or Euro zone that can help you on this.

The immobilizer system is way overkill. It may cut off engine ecu to fuel injection system too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You got me I don't have a clue or any data on this system.

You are probably going to have to find somebody in UK or Euro zone that can help you on this.

The immobilizer system is way overkill. It may cut off engine ecu to fuel injection system too.
Hope it doesn't cut other stuff too. All I can find is others have had the same problem with these types of alarms in other vehicles (BMW and FIAT) and the only solution seems to be removing it. Which would be easier if the car wasn't stuck in a tiny garage.

Thanks for trying.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. Is it possible to feed a 12v supply directly to the solenoid relay? At least then I could move the car out of the garage on the starter.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Philips trisonic Ph404 ph406 immobiliser PDF

Hi,

Have finally sourced a PDF for the Philips trisonic immobiliser on a 1995 164. It is for the PH406 not the PH404 installed but the behaviours look correct and confident the instructions are the same for both.

PDF is attached.

Will try it out when see the vehicle next week.

Thanks to all for suggestions and help,

Richard

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts