Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some advice on how and how not to repair this striker plate that i think is made of aluminum?

as you know the bit missing is the part that is hit every time you close the door

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Broken striker plate

Jose Antonio,

If the striker plate is made out of aluminum, just have somebody working with aluminum fill in the missing piece by welding. Shouldn´t be that hard to grind it of into the original shape afterwards. Soldering it, if its what you meant and if its at all possible, would probably be too saft material for another round of all of those hits again.

Dennis

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it really made of aluminum?

can anyone confirm if the striker is made of aluminum?

some had told me that it could be made of antimony and it couldn't be soldered of filled

thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
it looks to me like it is made of the famed "pot metal" and not aluminum. if it were aluminum, you could polish a small part of it to a bright aluminum finish. If it is pot metal, it stays gray looking even if polished. I have seen people repair pot metal at hot rod shows with a small torch and a special rod-they made it look easy. I bought a kit and tried to do it myself and failed miserably!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts