Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What we’ve got here is a 1966 Duetto (titled as a ’67) that is (almost) a two owner car. The first owner purchased this US spec car at Alfa Romeo of Florence, Italy, then imported it to the U.S. When the car was about a year and a half old, he sold it to my family member because a Ferrari had caught his eye.

My family member (my mother’s husband, Ken) kept the car from 1968 until 2007 when I became the caretaker. Ken used it as a daily driver, an immobile garage filler and a weekend plaything at various times, all in either Berkeley or Napa, California. It still has the original blue plate from the late 60s when it was brought to California. The engine and transmission are the original units and, like so many, a very slight pause going into second is helpful. I have a photo from when the car was delivered and the car left the factory with the fender-mounted mirrors. I know some hate them, but I think they're yet one more thing that sets these cars apart and find the placement kind of charming.

I took over the care and feeding of the car as a well-worn, but decent driver-grade car and began addressing the many things that had suffered under benign neglect. The suspension and brake systems were completely rebuilt, a new top was installed, the seats were reupholstered, a new radiator was installed, and the generator was rebuilt. I installed an Alfaholics brake master cylinder, ATE brakes and an LSD differential since the car is a true driver and Dunlop rebuild parts are almost impossible to source. A couple of years ago I installed a full Alfaholics exhaust. Alfaman (Jim Castellanos) in Novato, CA, rebuilt the original carbs and installed a new clutch and surfaced flywheel less than 1000 miles ago. The wheels are 15” Alfaholics GTA replica as the (also available separately) magnesium 14” Campagnolos (that the car left the factory with) were hard to get decent tires for, and I didn’t want to risk damaging one. Also fresh from Alfaman is a new water pump. The compression test Jim did at the time of the carb rebuild indicated 200/175/180/200.

I have boxes of original take-off parts as well as new parts to complete the cooling system overhaul, including the currently-bypassed heater circuit (fan motor and switch). Mostly complete records from the mid 70s to current are available and the sale also includes the owner's manual, original tool bag and jack. Not installed, but part of the package are the currently uninstalled ash tray/cigarette lighter, sun shades, and two sets of original headlight covers (one very nice, the other yellowed). The car was repainted quite nicely at some point in a color that is ever-so-slightly darker than the original AR-511 Blu medio. The paint finish is very nice and I think it is many coats of well-rubbed high-quality lacquer. The engine bay, underside of the hood and the full trunk are still the original color. Lollipops are on full display and it has the rare exterior-mount headlight rings that allow for covers to be installed.

Some disclosures for full transparency: the carbs need to be dialed in. Since the rebuild, it’s running rich. There is some rust at the top of the rear wheel arches, in the sills (although I’ve not ever actually seen the inside of them), the floor has a small hole on the driver’s side, and the front jacking points are compromised. Also, someone leaned on the trunk lid and cracked the paint, leading to some surface rust. The car has never been hit, as far as I know, and the front dimple (ain’t it cute) is perfect. The Robbins Top rear window is beginning to yellow a little and the door cards and dash were, unfortunately, cut for speakers and a stereo during the 70s when that was all the rage.

The value of these cars is all over the place and I am a realist about the condition of mine. This car was on BaT a few months ago and I admit my reserve was set a bit high. So, given all that and where the bid ended up, I’ll start with an ask of $18,000, knowing the only people interested in a car like this will know what it is and what the market will bear. I am open to offers, but please, nothing goofy. My feeling is that this is a decent driver that a little bit of work would improve, or it is a candidate for a restoration since it is pretty doggone complete. Located in western Sonoma County, California and I am willing to assist with transport or shipping. More photo are, of course, available.

DSC01299.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
What we’ve got here is a 1966 Duetto (titled as a ’67) that is (almost) a two owner car. The first owner purchased this US spec car at Alfa Romeo of Florence, Italy, then imported it to the U.S. When the car was about a year and a half old, he sold it to my family member because a Ferrari had caught his eye.

My family member (my mother’s husband, Ken) kept the car from 1968 until 2007 when I became the caretaker. Ken used it as a daily driver, an immobile garage filler and a weekend plaything at various times, all in either Berkeley or Napa, California. It still has the original blue plate from the late 60s when it was brought to California. The engine and transmission are the original units and, like so many, a very slight pause going into second is helpful. I have a photo from when the car was delivered and the car left the factory with the fender-mounted mirrors. I know some hate them, but I think they're yet one more thing that sets these cars apart and find the placement kind of charming.

I took over the care and feeding of the car as a well-worn, but decent driver-grade car and began addressing the many things that had suffered under benign neglect. The suspension and brake systems were completely rebuilt, a new top was installed, the seats were reupholstered, a new radiator was installed, and the generator was rebuilt. I installed an Alfaholics brake master cylinder, ATE brakes and an LSD differential since the car is a true driver and Dunlop rebuild parts are almost impossible to source. A couple of years ago I installed a full Alfaholics exhaust. Alfaman (Jim Castellanos) in Novato, CA, rebuilt the original carbs and installed a new clutch and surfaced flywheel less than 1000 miles ago. The wheels are 15” Alfaholics GTA replica as the (also available separately) magnesium 14” Campagnolos (that the car left the factory with) were hard to get decent tires for, and I didn’t want to risk damaging one. Also fresh from Alfaman is a new water pump. The compression test Jim did at the time of the carb rebuild indicated 200/175/180/200.

I have boxes of original take-off parts as well as new parts to complete the cooling system overhaul, including the currently-bypassed heater circuit (fan motor and switch). Mostly complete records from the mid 70s to current are available and the sale also includes the owner's manual, original tool bag and jack. Not installed, but part of the package are the currently uninstalled ash tray/cigarette lighter, sun shades, and two sets of original headlight covers (one very nice, the other yellowed). The car was repainted quite nicely at some point in a color that is ever-so-slightly darker than the original AR-511 Blu medio. The paint finish is very nice and I think it is many coats of well-rubbed high-quality lacquer. The engine bay, underside of the hood and the full trunk are still the original color. Lollipops are on full display and it has the rare exterior-mount headlight rings that allow for covers to be installed.

Some disclosures for full transparency: the carbs need to be dialed in. Since the rebuild, it’s running rich. There is some rust at the top of the rear wheel arches, in the sills (although I’ve not ever actually seen the inside of them), the floor has a small hole on the driver’s side, and the front jacking points are compromised. Also, someone leaned on the trunk lid and cracked the paint, leading to some surface rust. The car has never been hit, as far as I know, and the front dimple (ain’t it cute) is perfect. The Robbins Top rear window is beginning to yellow a little and the door cards and dash were, unfortunately, cut for speakers and a stereo during the 70s when that was all the rage.

The value of these cars is all over the place and I am a realist about the condition of mine. This car was on BaT a few months ago and I admit my reserve was set a bit high. So, given all that and where the bid ended up, I’ll start with an ask of $18,000, knowing the only people interested in a car like this will know what it is and what the market will bear. I am open to offers, but please, nothing goofy. My feeling is that this is a decent driver that a little bit of work would improve, or it is a candidate for a restoration since it is pretty doggone complete. Located in western Sonoma County, California and I am willing to assist with transport or shipping. More photo are, of course, available.

View attachment 1613081

View attachment 1613082

View attachment 1613083

View attachment 1613084

View attachment 1613085

View attachment 1613086

View attachment 1613087

View attachment 1613081

View attachment 1613082

View attachment 1613083

View attachment 1613084

View attachment 1613085

View attachment 1613086

View attachment 1613087

·
Premium Member
21,668 Posts
Can you show the front jack points and hole in the floor and the cracked paint on the trunk lid? I'm in the East Bay and could come look pretty readily. Thank you.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts