Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to Alfas. I have a 1977 Spider with webers the car runs great but seems to be a little soggy in the rear. Is this aspring thing or shock thig or both.
Thanks Nick

·
Premium Member
21,159 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "soggy" but if it sags or doesn't sit level, it's springs.
If it bounces too much, it's shocks.
If it seems loose and wiggly, it's bushings and/or shocks.
If you just think it's too soft, you can upgrade to better springs, bushings, and shocks.
Andrew

·
Registered
409 Posts
The best way to check the shocks is to push down on the rear end of the car and see if it continues to bounce or just goes down and comes back up one time. If it continues to bounce after you push it down and release, you have bad shocks. Then jack the rear end up, and put jackstands under the car at the rear jacking points (use the differential for jacking). After the car is safely supported by jackstands, remove the jack and crawl under the car. Try to move the axle around and see if you have any play in any bushings. The bushings are where the rear suspension pieces attach to the axle or to the frame. They should be free to pivot, but there should be no play. If you are pretty strong, don't get the car moving the jackstands around. You don't want the car to fall off the stands and crush you. You are just looking for evidence of play in bushing that would indicate that they are worn out. Now to check the springs, jack it up, remove the jackstands, and lower it back on the ground. Is the car sagging in the rear. If so, the springs have probably lost some tension.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a set of those coil spring spacers ( the litttle aluminum things) I put them in and it made a world of differance. So I thinks the springs need to be replaced and the shocks dont seem to be all that great either. I think I will replace them all the way around

1 - 5 of 5 Posts