Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of the side cables broke in my top. The question is, how much trouble is it to replace? I have a donor top that I can get a cable from, but is it worth the hassle?

·
Administrator
18,305 Posts
I believe the hardest part will be getting to the cable's attachment near the front bow. The next hard part will be threading the wire through the fabric sleeve along the top of the door opening. I suspect that without the cable you won't notice much difference. Have you driven the car at highway speeds with the broken cable? Worst case scenario is the seal along the top of the window will be open up a little while driving. If it does not you might want to wait intil it is time for a new top.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a write-up anywhere on the steps to replacing a cable with the top already attached to the frame? If I don't have to remove the canvas to replace it, I might as well, but if I have to, I might just live with it. No I haven't had this top at highway speeds yet so I dont know if it will be noticable.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
FWIW, I been driving with no cables at all with no problems since the day I got the car.

At most, you may have to loosen the remaining one so as to not have it pulling the top over to that side or something. Beyond that, I've never quite figured out what their actual purpose was as things seem to work just fine without them. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've had two new hoods fitted to different cars by professionals over the past 13 years and both times these guys have not replaced the cables.

It doesn't seem to matter at all, the seals round the windows are fine.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The cables are very easy to replace. You can buy the material at ACE hardware and have them swedge a loop at the "T-bolt" end. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cables are very easy to replace. You can buy the material at ACE hardware and have them swedge a loop at the "T-bolt" end. Cheap and easy.
I have the cable, I was wondering about the actual steps as far as replacement.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Use a coat hangar to fish the wire through the pocket shown. Connect the front cable loop. I used a steel rivet. At back end fish down through the top frame as depicted and down to the knurled adjuster and cable stop. The tension should be adjusted so as to just compress the spring a little. If you tighten it too tight, you'll wind up pulling the front fastener out or breaking the cable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Old thread I know, but I picked it because the top looks similar to mine.

I have an EZ-ON top and am planning on installing it. So as usual, I am trying to learn everything I can before I start.

I have read and re-read and will read again the thread in the FAQ from gadwhite. Thanks to him.

My question is that I cannot figure out the routing of the wire.

I have the eyelets shown above, but I just cannot figure out the routing. Does it go right across the top or does it go across the front or what?

Any help would be appreciated.

Vin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts