Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Still researching. One telling statement from the company that makes HH-66. They said HH-66 is not really right for the Sonnenland fabric. I then asked if another product of theirs, S-18, is more appropriate. They said:
S-18 is not good for PVC vinyl or acrylics. My understanding is some convertible tops are vinyl, so HH-66 would work with them. In general, I am reluctant to recommend a product for convertible tops-it is a big risk for little reward. The former owner, was sued by vintage car owner over the adhesive.

That would mean most of the places selling HH-66 with the cloth tops know something the manufacturer does not, or then are selling the wrong product.

I'm trying to get in touch with Haartz to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Can't reach anyone at Haartz at least by phone. I remembered taking a tour at Sidco Upholstery in Mountain View, so I called Alex the owner. He said HH-66 is for vinyl tops, it melts the vinyl and is for attaching vinyl to vinyl. He thinks a general contact cement is a better choice, said to stay away from anything 3M in a spray can, and offered to give me a small container of the industrial stuff they use in the shop if I come by.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Haartz replied. Rather disappointing:
Thank you for contacting The Haartz Corporation.
We are not aware of the actual glues or bonding agents that each top manufacturer uses. This is proprietary information for their process and they do not share it, even with us. We manufacture the top materials only, but do not cut & sew or produce tops.
We have never investigated HH-66 (never heard of it actually) so we cannot provide any details on suitability. On Sonnenland Classic, the dobby backing is 100% Cotton, whereas on Sonnenland A5, the backing is 100% PET. All we can advise is that no chemicals in the solvent family should be used ever on either the face or back of the textiles and this may lead to separation of the fabrics. Sorry we cannot be of more assistance in this case.
So, I may just go with Weldwood, or take a chance on the stuff from Sidco.

·
Registered
331 Posts
One final note from the HH-66 manufacturer:
Sorry for any confusion. HH-66 was developed to bond PVC vinyl to PVC vinyl in industrial applications. HH-66 also bonds acrylics; it does not work with polyethylene and polypropylene. We do not know if HH-66 does or does not bond other plastics. We are not saying that it doesn’t not work on Sonnenland; we are saying we do not know if does or doesn’t.

A bunch of vendors sell HH-66 for both vinyl and cloth tops. My conclusions are that either it works fine, or it doesn't work but they would rather just carry one product. I find the latter hard to believe. I'm going to use Weldwood.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm 90% done with the installation. The Weldwood works just fine, and is what is recommended in the factory install manual.
At this point, I've glued the inner side flaps, then lined up the pockets for the side flaps (B pillar) and glued in the bar, then riveted.
It didn't look right so I drilled out the rivets.

I have two questions blocking me:
1) Where the metal side trim is riveted in the pocket to the B pillar (gadwhite's post calls it the A pillar which is incorrect), I am getting crumpling of the window seal if I pull it tight, and I also have a gap on the side (see photo).
Window seal (it lays flat when loose, in position it was all crinkled):

Gap:

This part seems right:

How much should this overlap laterally?

When I try to install it this way, it gets bunched up and crinkly:

Natural fit seems this way, but it looks like too much overlap to me:

2) possibly related to the gap, in the rear with all the studs, the hole closest to the driver and passenger seats is not a stud but likely a screw. How large is that screw? I only seem to have a couple of tiny ones left over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For those of you with a Series 1 Spider (Duetto or 1750) who have installed a top, I have a question.
I am installing a Classic Alfa Sonnenland canvas top and can't figure out why the rear section has 2 "flaps" of fabric, instead of one.
Here is a picture. I am not sure what to do with the flap on the right of this picture - it seems unnecessary.
I am familiar with the helpful PDF drawing of the attachment of the top above the trunk lid that has been shared several times, but that only requires one flap of canvas to be secured.
Any thoughts? TIA

·
Registered
331 Posts
For those of you with a Series 1 Spider (Duetto or 1750) who have installed a top, I have a question.
I am installing a Classic Alfa Sonnenland canvas top and can't figure out why the rear section has 2 "flaps" of fabric, instead of one.
Here is a picture. I am not sure what to do with the flap on the right of this picture - it seems unnecessary.
I am familiar with the helpful PDF drawing of the attachment of the top above the trunk lid that has been shared several times, but that only requires one flap of canvas to be secured.
Any thoughts? TIA View attachment 1629384
Which flap has the holes? Perhaps the 2nd flap is to cover the inside over the nuts in lieu of the plastic strip?
I'm not sure if the series 1 top is different but my S4 top I am installing has only one flap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The securing of the top for the roundtail is different than later years (which, as I recall, had around 22 bolts around the body tub) in that I have about 6-7 bolts that secure the hoop down and hold the top tight against the body.
I know that the flap wraps around the hoop channel, just can't figure out why I have an extra "flap" and where it is supposed to go.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts