Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 76 spider and looking to replace the soft top. Don’t want a vinyl top. Can anyone recommend a supplier as well as your thoughts on the quality after purchased?

John

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 76 spider and looking to replace the soft top. Don’t want a vinyl top. Can anyone recommend a supplier as well as your thoughts on the quality after purchased?

John
I ordered a Robbins Black Haartz Stayfast Cloth top with padded quarters from topsonline.com. The installer that I used highly recommended both the Robbins top and topsonline. Topsonline sells three different brands, all of which are nice quality. I recommend getting the padded rear quarters, as it really helps with cutting down on noise with the top up.

https://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/Alfa_Romeo/1971_thru_1994_Alfa_Romeo_Spider_1750_And_2000,_Graduate,_Quadrifoglio_And_Veloce.html

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I bought a Haartz Stayfast top from Autoberry.com a couple of years back, and the quality was first class. I did not have it installed though, that was done by the buyer of the Spider. It had the padded quarters, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey John Kouris, what did you go for in the end? I'll be starting a similar job on my 1988 Quad in a couple of months...

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I bought the German Sonnenland mohair cloth top with padded quarters from Classic Alfa in the U.K. and installed it myself using gadwhite's photo thread on this forum as a guide. The rear water channel stud holes came pre-punched in the right place, which made the install easier. When I was done, the top was tight, and the rear window was wrinkle-free.
If you are going to have someone else install your new top, just buy the brand they recommend, but if you plan on installing yourself, I would listen to someone who has actually done the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I bought the German Sonnenland mohair cloth top with padded quarters from Classic Alfa in the U.K. and installed it myself using gadwhite's photo thread on this forum as a guide. The rear water channel stud holes came pre-punched in the right place, which made the install easier. When I was done, the top was tight, and the rear window was wrinkle-free.
If you are going to have someone else install your new top, just buy the brand they recommend, but if you plan on installing yourself, I would listen to someone who has actually done the job.
I ended up buying the the top I wanted but had someone else install it.

Please post pics of your new top.

Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Since I'm stuck at home like everyone else, I might as well start some projects, and my top is original and needs to be replaced.
This thread is the most recent I can find.

Has anyone else ordered a top recently and been happy with the quality? Feedback welcome!

While this is not a project I wanted to tackle, I think if I go about it slowly over a few days, it should be OK.
I did some research, and my choices seem to be from the following:
  • There's a vendor on ebay called Diamondmall that has a few different tops, in particular "haartz stayfast" at $309 and "german factory canvas" at $379. I don't think they have the padded quarters.
  • Centerline has a black haartz stayfast at $645. Has padded quarters.
  • Classic Alfa describes a black "German Sonnenland mohair - superior to Haartz material with the best fit we have ever had" at $480. Does not mention padded quarters but from the pictures I think it is. Should end up about $575 shipped.
  • Autoberry has padded tops with stayfast at $379 and sonnenland at $459
  • Topsonline has padded tops with stayfast, both EZon at $485 and Robbins at $562
Based on feedback so far in this thread, I'm leaning towards the Classic Alfa top. I do want the padded quarters as it's that way on the original, and I think the Sonnenland is a better product and the cost differential is small. The Autoberry product would save me around $50 and might get here more quickly as I'm not sure how Covid is impacting Classic's operation and/or UK to US shipping.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm following this with interest as I need to replace my top as well. I was leaning toward the Classic Alfa top before I picked up another project.

Let us know which you choose.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
what is the padded corners thing?

and in this respect...quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten. A cheap top that just doesn't fit right, leaks or flaps a lot will bug you a lot more than the extra $100 you would have spent instead.

But without trying them all you just don't know...the cheapest might just fit the best and the most expensive might leave you less then happy...

And proper installation is probably the most important factor here...I bought a top for my LeBaron a few years ago. I paid a local auto upholstery shop to install it. They messed up the weather-stripping and the top got a hole in the same stress spot as the original top in only 1/3 the time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has anyone tried the tops from Alfissimo? They have the Sonnenland tops made in Germany as well. I'm going to be doing a new top project too and am trying to figure which to get

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Go with the German Sonnenland Mohair with padded quarters from Classic Alfa. The rear stud holes are pre-punched in the right spot which makes the install so much easier, and if you take your time, you will get a snug fit with the front bead resting tightly against the top of the windshield frame and no wrinkles in the rear window.

·
Registered
201 Posts
for what it's worth, i purchased a vinyl top from 'convertibletopguys.com' in Rhode Island and installed it myself. the top is fantastic and fit perfectly. they sell the robbins' cloth tops as well.
regards
Mark
IMG-0616.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Go with the German Sonnenland Mohair with padded quarters from Classic Alfa. The rear stud holes are pre-punched in the right spot which makes the install so much easier, and if you take your time, you will get a snug fit with the front bead resting tightly against the top of the windshield frame and no wrinkles in the rear window.
That's where I am leaning. Looking at about a week delivery but seems like I'm not going anywhere for a while.
How much of the hardware and seals did you end up needing to replace? I'm thinking maybe I should take off the current top and assess all that.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Has anyone tried the tops from Alfissimo? They have the Sonnenland tops made in Germany as well. I'm going to be doing a new top project too and am trying to figure which to get
I have purchased a convertible top from alfissimo.com in the past and I would I highly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts