Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The body work on my 1957 750D is progressing well and I need to let the restorer know which superfluous holes to fill in.

The ones I'm asking about are those that are fitted to secure a tonneau. The car does not have one and I'm not planning to fit one, so most of the holes can be filled in. The holes are paired to take turnbuckle style fasteners.

Were any of these style fasteners standard on these early cars? I've seen some photos were they are present to secure the side flaps of the soft top to the body when the soft top is up, but am not sure whether these were standard or an aftermarket fitting for a particular type of soft top. If they are not required, I'd rather not have them.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
The body work on my 1957 750D is progressing well and I need to let the restorer know which superfluous holes to fill in.

The ones I'm asking about are those that are fitted to secure a tonneau. The car does not have one and I'm not planning to fit one, so most of the holes can be filled in. The holes are paired to take turnbuckle style fasteners.

Were any of these style fasteners standard on these early cars? I've seen some photos were they are present to secure the side flaps of the soft top to the body when the soft top is up, but am not sure whether these were standard or an aftermarket fitting for a particular type of soft top. If they are not required, I'd rather not have them.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
All soft tops had the turnbuckle style.. two on each side. The top will flap in the breeze without them.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
They're called Murphy fasteners, and there should be two per side. I would drill the holes for them after you get your top installed. The Robbins top on my car had barely enough fabric to install the eyelets to match up with the existing Murphy fasteners.

I would love to find a source for the originals, BTW. The fasteners and eyelets that are generally available are crude compared with the originals from Pininfarina. Yet another instance of why Pininfarina was great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts