Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Verde
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 gtv with dual boosters, just rebuilt MC. Has been sitting for years and trying to get it back on the road. The problem is we can't get a hard brake pedal. We have bled it repeatedly. I will be good for a day and goes soft overnight. Fluid level does not go down and we cant see any fluid leaks anywhere. I guess air is getting in somehow.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
If you rebuilt the master but didn't rebuild the boosters you've probably blown past the old booster seals with the pressure from the new MC. The master and boosters should be rebuilt at the same time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had a similar problem on my Mini years ago. Rebuilt everything and the pedal went soft overnight. It turned out to be a bad rebuild kit in the master. Can you by pass the boosters and rebleed the system? If the system holds then you know the problem is in the boosters. Otherwise it is the master.
Tony

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Is this a case where the master needs to be bled on the "bench"?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try bleeding the master cylinder, just crack open the brake line connection to the master cylinder wrap a rag around the joint to stop brake fluid dripping in the engine bay and get someone to slowly depress the pedal when fully down hold it whilst the connection is tightened up and release the pedal, repeat a couple of times to be sure

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I love it when someone says "whilst". So much more civilized.
It's a word I never heard in 12th grade English class...
Us folks living in the colonies would say "while holding it down, etc, etc .."
Also the words "straight away". Has a pleasant ring to it.
I was a big fan of Alistair Cooke.

Don't blame me for going astray, alfamail62 made me do it. .

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Here's the Paul Harvey version. Back in 1982 my Roundtail MC went bad on the way home from college. I went down to my local foreign car parts dealer and told him I needed a MC rebuild kit. The guy behind the counter told me to buy the booster kits as well, otherwise the pressure from the master would blow by the old booster seals. I was a broke college kid so I told him '"maybe later" or something like that. Two weeks later (see) I was down buying two Bonaldi booster rebuild kits because the pedal was on the floor again. Boy was I ever wrong and the parts guy ever right. Had fantastic brakes after that.

·
Registered
1988 Verde
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know where I can get rebuild kits for the dual brake boosters for my '69 gtv?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts