Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!
I am trying to get myself into my first Alfa! Fell in love after seeing one on the road and have been searching since.

I came across a 69' 1750 GTV and am scheduled to see the car tomorrow. I am a rookie and would be awesome to pair with a willing alfa guru to view and examine the car with me or if anyone can recommend a member willing to provide this type of service. A shop that is knowledgeable and performs PPI's works too. :)

Feel free to PM or a leave a message below.

Thanks!
Kenny

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi everyone!
I am trying to get myself into my first Alfa! Fell in love after seeing one on the road and have been searching since.

I came across a 69' 1750 GTV and am scheduled to see the car tomorrow. I am a rookie and would be awesome to pair with a willing alfa guru to view and examine the car with me or if anyone can recommend a member willing to provide this type of service. A shop that is knowledgeable and performs PPI's works too. :)

Feel free to PM or a leave a message below.

Thanks!
Kenny
Kenny -

If you can't find a Alfa guru, my recommendation:

-Spend some time on YouTube viewing the Vintage Customs videos. They detail many of the problem areas.

-Find/hire someone who does bodywork/paint. Doesn't have to be an Alfa expert, but you need to share the common problem areas with him (that you gleaned from the videos) so he knows where to focus.

-Take lots of pictures and then post them here. Or send us a link to the for sale ad. Folks here can tell you what's correct or not.

-Hopefully the body/paint guy is knowledgeable about engines/transmissions/suspensions. If so, when you take it for a test drive, he should be able to spot any obvious problems.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Ciao,

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scott!
I appreciate your response. The link to the advertisement was found on CL 1969 alfa romeo 1750 gtv

Here is a copy and paste of ad description.

i've had the car for over 4 years. I got it in texas its very clean inside and out the car is was repainted 7 years ago still in good shape the top end and injection pump was redone 2years ago by wes ingram the car has been sitting in my garage and not being driven the brakes are soft it can be driven around the block or two but should be looked at the car is dry spare tire area floors window frames etc. besides brake service it needs the wiper switched out. I have a replacement motor for it
I looked high and low for a 69 gtv before I found this car #lovetheseats! I would love to keep it but
I also have a 1962 SS that I'm starting to restore and that takes money. the price is $20k firm I think thats a fair price for such a clean car

additional photos he sent me

So asking price is 20K firm. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Kenny

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This has been posted on the BB before and there is an account of 1st hand inspection. Do a search.
I ran a few searches but didn't find results to this particular vehicle. Could you possibly clue me into what search strings or provide some detail on how to search more specifically to find what I am searching for? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think there might be another post on the same car also - maybe a couple weeks older then the one you found. Not 100% sure but I think this car has popped up a couple times recently.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I'm not sure about timing or where this car is but I am in Orange County and may be able to help out this weekend if needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I saw the car in person, though it appears overall condition of the car is fair both inside and out, I need an experienced eyes opinion.

Both doors appear to have been hitting the fender due to misalignment at one point, one inch paint chipped and rust has formed.
Trunk has some surface rust forming where the spare tire goes.
Outer trunk had a couple paint cracks.
Oxidation in the engine bay.
Dents in the SS rear bumper but has new one.
Hour glass front grille is missing but said he would try to get a new replacement.
Reupholstered non factory door panels
not sure if side mirrors are oem
hazy rear window

However due to soft brakes he advised not to drive the car, the engine was turned over and idled. I plan on taking it for a PPI to Alfa Performance Connection before making a decision.

The seller mentions the brake booster is bad and needs replacement, motor mounts need to be replaced, and fuel injection system needs to be adjusted. With all things considered if this car is a no rust and accident free, how much should I be looking to spend?

cabikefreak: thank you for your generous offer but I think it would be best to have a reputable shop put it on a lift and go over with a fine tooth comb to see where this car has been.

Thanks again everyone! I hope to join the alfa club very soon!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Soft brakes sounds more like a defective brake master cylinder. Doesn't matter, the PPI being done by Alfa Performance Connection (APC) should reveal all.

Does the owner have a list of items that he has replaced? APC might find it useful. I use such a list to help me judge the quality of prior repairs and the quality of parts used.

Taking ownership of a GTV for me means changing all of the fluids, replacing all the cooling hoses, flexible brake lines, the giubo and fixing the door hinges, and as needed the flexible engine mounts. These items have to be done at some point and I find it is best to do them and know that they were done. A giubo failure is sometimes deadly and always annoying; it will leave you stranded. I usually also early in my ownership replace all the rubber suspension bits; I buy Alfas for their looks and their ride. Nothing degrades an Alfa's ride like worn rubber suspension bushings.

Don't get too freaked about the potentially long list of items that APC find worn, broken or missing. From my perspective, a GTV with minimal rust and sound sills at $20K is, in this market, well priced.

Avoid if you can the temptation to try and immediately fix all the little cosmetic imperfection on your new-to-you Alfa. More than one member of this board can tell you their sad saga of never having driven their Alfa because soon after they bought it they thought it a good idea to fix everything. Some of them have owned their cars for decades. It is an Alfa, it is meant to be driven. With that said, the factory original looking door cards run about $260 a pair from Classic Alfa. Takes but a few hours to replace door cards, unless of course you get distracted by the surface rust you discover on the interior of the door and the completely rusted-out door hand bracket like I invariably do.

Please tell us what APC discovers. And good luck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Anything to update???

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I saw this car in person at APC, still for sale. Much rougher than pictures suggest and looks like it has been hit since rear trunk side panels (framing the trunk) are covered in bondo and cracking. Stewart said it would likely nickle and dime the new owner for quite a while due to deferred maintenance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
FYI, this car was posted at 18k firm, then 20k firm, then 18k again. I'd bring 16k cash and go home with a new Alfa project.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
If anyone is serious about it there are a couple of us are local to orange county that could probably help put eyes on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay in response, but after consulting with kind members from alfabb I have decided against purchasing this particular GTV. Main reason being, the seller stated no rust in advertisement but upon inspection Stewart at APC reported not only a plethora of rust but also a grocery list of issues, one of which is rear end damage from a collision. Repairs have been done but were mickey moused with bondo. Seller claims that head has been rebuilt and spica system has been rebuilt by Wes Ingram. Honestly, I cannot trust what has and has not been done with this car.

Stewart stated that the car is a good candidate for restoration, but I don't have the time and resources to take on such a project. I'd love a good driver with no rust and no mechanical issues

Thank you all! The search continues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts