Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘66 Stepnose shell is getting close so need to decide what to do with it. It just happens that I have a 65k mile healthy complete Spider as a donor (front end hit, lost title etc...) I found this car minus everything mechanical and it already has S2 Spider front suspension and brakes.

Any thoughts on using that compete drive train on the ‘66 build?

I also have a spare 1750 with Weber’s and 5 speed on hand as well.

I expect there will be some (many?) won’t groove on the later engine but thought I’d ask.

Thanks and hope everyone’s week is off to a good start.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you are building it to drive why not? Of course it will be worth less when its finished , personally that wouldn't bother me but....

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
Judging by the number of posts from owners of Bosch L-jet cars who either cannot get them to start or to run right, I would hesitate to install that motor. It is not going to get any better with L-Jet as many of the key components are obsolete and NLA.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen.

Wasn’t aware the LJet was problematic, huh.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
If it fits it ships. (Wait - I think that is the Post Office.)

Bosch EFI is good for the intended use - it helped the Spider meet the emissions testing required. Those that want to tune it for more HP have found it that it can't be done (easily). The computers are old and not re-programmable. But with standard pistons it ran fine on regular gas - our '84 Spider gets high 20's MPG in around town driving and low 30's on highway cruising. IME, L-jet has proven quite reliable. It does require that all the bits work correctly for it to work at all. But if the sensors and electrical connections are up to snuff it starts & runs fine. (see my signature to a page of info about diagnosis of the L-jet system in the Spider)

An aftermarket FI system would be more money & time to set up but would likely net you more HP and still be very streetable.

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
An aftermarket FI system would be more money & time to set up but would likely net you more HP and still be very streetable.
And more reliable as it eliminates the AFM and makes the system insensitive to air leaks.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I have some reading to do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Judging by the number of posts from owners of Bosch L-jet cars who either cannot get them to start or to run right, I would hesitate to install that motor. It is not going to get any better with L-Jet as many of the key components are obsolete and NLA.
Personally I went down the Motec route, the one thing that works without fail is the engine. The rest of the car is a nightmare in comparison.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bet that car really moves @AJSG .

Question - can I take the '84 short block and "easily" get either Spica or Webers on it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bet that car really moves @AJSG .
At the moment the engine is a standard as can be, with the exception of the actuator on the valves but it comes in so soon there is no wonder Alfa didn't use it. The engine is a TS off a 1992 75. It has had a nice rebuild but no trick parts...at the moment!

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
I agree with alfaparticle. To me, the beauty of a '66 is its simplicity. If an engine with carbs & points isn't running right, you can easily diagnose it and repair it. But while EFI is probably more reliable, when it goes south it's tougher to figure out the reason and if parts are scarce, tougher to put right.

Plus, when you raise the hood on an original '66 people marvel at how clean it looks. Not so with the L-jet setup.

But hey, I can't very well guilt you into keeping your '66 stock - my own Sprint GT has a 2L engine, front suspension and differential (though mine remains carbureted).

tdskip said:
Question - can I take the '84 short block and "easily" get either Spica or Webers on it?
Ugh, wish I knew the answer to that. You certainly can't "easily" put Spica on it - the front cover won't support the Spica pump. But will a carburetor manifold fit the head? I know this has been discussed on the BB - typically initiated by people who got fed up with their L-Jet systems and just wanted the simplicity of carbs - but since it wasn't pertinent to me, I didn't focus on the replies.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Don.

Having given this a bit more a think and introducing more moving parts I have a slightly different scenario to float, I could also use that '84 Bosch engine in my '71 Spider where the original 1750 has gone missing. That is a driver of a car, less upside to worry about frittering away than using that set up in the '66 GT. '

That would allow me to target the 1750 with a dual Weber set up sitting in the garage towards the '66. That engine needs to be refreshed but seems like I'll be rewarded for that effort (not primarily motivated by the finances here).

Yes/no/burn you all out with the moving parts yet? 😆

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
I would agree that a 1750 with carbs will be a more natural fit for the Sprint. Plus, you can bolt a 1600 flywheel to the 1750 crankshaft and retain the mechanical clutch (while if you used the 2L engine, you'd need to do something more complicated with the clutch).

Putting the L-Jet engine in the '71 makes sense too - it's already plumbed for fuel injection and the hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good morning Jay, thanks for the feedback.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts