Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to share feedback on Ingram SpICA pumps?? for 2000cc.

I am looking to get a stock one....

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Wes helped me out big time. I was buying a '71 GTV 1750 and the PO was messing around with the original SPICA, then another one he bought used and so forth. Finally I called Wes who set me straight on what to do. So I called the PO and told him to quit messing around, that I would pay for a new one from Wes. Wes expedited the best he could because he knew the deal was contingent on the new SPICA. I renovated the gas tank and flushed out the lines and of course replaced both filters before installing the new pump. Wes gave me help during the install (his book helps, along with the stuff on this forum). The unit has worked great although the fuel cutoff switch has since failed. As this is not absolutely necessary and since it requires the pump to come off to get repaired, I disconnected it as I have other projects more important right now. A new (in my case rebuilt) pump from them is not cheap but it will work right and you will have someone to help you get it right. There is plenty on the forum about changing the pump to carbs and I can relate to much of it, but I just have better places to put my time and money than that conversion. It really all comes down to how much you want to fiddle with this part of the car.

As for Ingram, he is very responsive, does high quality work and obviously knows exactly what he's doing. I don't think you can go wrong working with Wes and his crew.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Anyone care to share feedback on Ingram SpICA pumps?? for 2000cc.

I am looking to get a stock one....
I've installed more than one Ingram pump, all have worked flawlessly.

Wes is at the convention, will you be attending?

bs

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wes rebuilt mine around '91, after I purchased a '74 Spider that had been driven infrequently. Gas began leaking into the sump. Since the rebuild, no issues. Wes executes a number of upgrades during the rebuild process that eliminate the most troublesome weak points in the pump's design. He has definitely performed more rebuilds on these pumps than anyone on the planet.

My only complaint was the thermostatic actuator he provided, which was rebuilt by someone local to him, and gave me trouble. It wasn't w/i spec. and had to be replaced soon after with one from a guy in SoCal, that Jon/Alfa Parts recommended. It has stainless steel piping, and has lasted a long time.

I like the fact that the Spica, once rebuilt and calibrated, runs like a modern car, w/ minimal attention - must be that diesel lineage :eek:. So, unless you intend to constantly bounce the tach needle off the redline (max. is 5600 rpm with these), I think you'll be pretty happy with the results.

Considering the relative scarcity of mechanically injected cars from the 60's/70's, the Spica system represents a unique, successful and graceful approach to addressing the emissions concerns during a very stressful period in the progression of automotive development.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I obtained a rebuilt Spica pump from Wes, 20 years ago, for my 1750. Only had to make two minor adjustments over the past two decades. It has certainly been very reliable.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Obviously Wes does great work, however, I'd like to ask you all a question. Did your pumps leak oil right from the start? Wes told me he uses the best aircraft grade gasket material, which I don't doubt. However, when I installed a freshly rebuilt Spica pump in a client's car, the oil simply oozed out from the gaskets and made a puddle on the floor. Wes said he'd had a few complaints regarding that, but it always cleared up. I didn't want to rely on 'always cleared up' so removed all the gaskets I could get to, after removing the pump, and made the gaskets using 'regular' gasket material. No more oil leaks. I know it would be insulting, but when I have him rebuild another, I'd like to ask him to send me a set of his gaskets, make new ones, then send those back to him.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Nary a leak in two decades.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Fellas,
THANKS for the feedback! I do want to keep the SPICA system rather than replace w/ carbs or Bosch FI. I am still up in the air about it.

EFI mgmt 750$ and injectors/intake ~400$ slightly more costly than SPICA, but more control than bosch......

Hi Bshorey! No I can't make the convention...thanks for asking.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Obviously Wes does great work, however, I'd like to ask you all a question. Did your pumps leak oil right from the start? Wes told me he uses the best aircraft grade gasket material, which I don't doubt. However, when I installed a freshly rebuilt Spica pump in a client's car, the oil simply oozed out from the gaskets and made a puddle on the floor. Wes said he'd had a few complaints regarding that, but it always cleared up. I didn't want to rely on 'always cleared up' so removed all the gaskets I could get to, after removing the pump, and made the gaskets using 'regular' gasket material. No more oil leaks. I know it would be insulting, but when I have him rebuild another, I'd like to ask him to send me a set of his gaskets, make new ones, then send those back to him.
Gaskets: they are extremely thin, and seem to become saturated with oil, and weep just a bit. I will admit I did check the 6(?) nuts at the base for tightness - they were fine. The only recurring leakage I get is around the FI pump's oil filter cover. The last time I replaced the filter, it seemed to seal OK (new gasket + Hylomar dressing), but previously there was always one drop of oil about to hit the ground - perhaps there is a gouge or some variation at the sealing surface from an earlier attempt at dislodging the cover.

The only puddle I ever got was when a mechanic neglected to install the o-ring from the pump platform to the engine block. My wife insisted that we take the car imm. after purchase to a well-known nearby mechanic so that the required work "..wouldn't take 3 months". The o-ring was only one of several f*-ups during his time with the car. She has now learned to patiently wait for me to take my time and do it right.

If rolling your own seemed to work better, I'd ask Wes to send the gaskets separately. It's not like you're relying on third party anecdotes. But yeah, he may take it personally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts