Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems pretty common that a person with one project car has more.

Went to pick of a rough Spitfire I had bought and found the seller also has a '61 Alfa Veloce that may be restorable.

The bad, lots of it!
Rusty sills, drivers door skin is badly rusted, nearly all chrome missing, top of the windshield frame is bent, engine certain to be seized.

The good, mechanically complete including the gauges, webers and air box, tube headers, five speed trans, wheels.

Condition of the floors could not be seen, but I expect they are not good as it's a damp climate where anything that sits grows moss on it.

Current owner thinks it's fairly valuable, I'n not certain it is practical to restore for street or race without finding another body shell?
Not actually for sale at the moment, but he has several other cars he could put funds into, including a Ferrari that is MUCH cleaner.

Should I give up on it as he is a "Hoarder", or try to pry it away from him?

What to offer?

Another thought, the hood is flat, no scoop, so I'm wondering if it's not actually an earlier car?
1300?

· Registered
5,225 Posts
Since the car is not for sale and he feels that it has value, you can test him to see what he feels it is worth by offering what you feel it is worth and let him counter.

Stay interested, as those who hang in for the long haul will win out at a price you can live with.
Sills are reproducible, door skins, floor boards and trunk floors can be replaced. Everything you mentioned can be repaired. A '61 Veloce will have a flat hood. Also that is a transition year from 750 to 101. Shoot me a body number and engine number and I can let you know how that falls in the range of Spider Veloce's.

With the value of 750 veloces going up, and a great car to drive, you might consider just holding on to it while you accumulate parts. :)

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not bought a Veloce in nearly thirty years.

So really out of my depth for a clue to current values of such project cars.

· Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,368 Posts
So really out of my depth for a clue to current values of such project cars.
We really can't do that - we haven't even seen pictures, let alone examined it firsthand. Even if we knew the precise condition of this car, there isn't a large enough market for "1961 Alfa Veloce spiders that are 37.2% rusted" to give an exact number. A lot depends on the seller's motivation to let it go, and your plans to restore or part it.

I can tell you that the current edition of "Sports Car Market Price Guide" values restored '61 Veloces at $45,000- $65,000. No doubt the seller figures his car falls somewhere in that range. Given the amount of rust you describe, it is probably worth far less.

The good, mechanically complete including the gauges, webers and air box, tube headers, five speed trans, wheels
Note that an original Giulietta would have a four speed transmission. The fact that this car is complete is certainly a plus - if the body is that bad, it's value may be as a parts car. And veloce bits are valuable.

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No pics or body No. at this time.

Guy has a lot of cars and JUNK parts stacked under tents.
Hard to see the car at all and I did not want to push with taking pics of a car that is technically not for sale.

Suspect my best approach may be a trade, just not sure what, probably something German as he has more of those than anything.

I have reason to keep in touch, so will be patient with this one.

· Premium Member
26,050 Posts
A 61 Giulietta Veloce should have a flat hood. Hood scoop came in 62 with the Giulia series, with some minor screwy overlap during the transition.

Just as data points, review Matt Hamilton's sales info on giuliettas.com, and the Completed Items on ebay for Veloce Spider chassis. Some rusty roller shells have gone for bigger numbers than I'd have expected. Huge difference in value between a rusty Normale and Veloce, so make sure to verify what you're looking at. Also a pretty big difference between 750 and 101 series cars in value.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.