Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed the dash on my car to fix my heater issue and repair some fried wiring at the fuse block. Now that I have the dash out, I have found quite a bit of rather interesting wiring that has taken place over the years, that will require some attention.

Aside from the wiring, is there anything else I should be looking at while the dash is out? Not much under there, but I figured the collective wisdom has all sorts of suggestions!

Tia

Tom

Sorry this is for a 71, so later year issues don't apply too much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, that is what started the process. The flap on the heater box had been installed incorrectly at some point in the past, and it blocked all heat from the interior. I "fixed" that, and checked the core. Those are all good, but what I goofed was the valve to flap adjustment on for the slider. No problem last year when it was cold to have the heat on full, but not too interested in that this summer... And my fat hands really didn't fit too well in that tiny space, so out came the dash. Piece of cake, though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Check the cowl drain hoses for cracks and for plugging. Replace the instrument lights.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how everyone love pictures, so here is a bit of the fun I have in store for me.

Here is the back of the gauges. I don't know why what was done was done.

gaugewiring.jpg

Here is the wiring for the hazard switch. I know Alfa did some strange things, but I have a feeling this is not the stock wiring.

hazard.jpg

And here is the fuse block. Notice something off about a few of those wires? Not sure where the fault is, the brights worked on the car, so I think it was something that got damaged and then repaired. I really need to find that repair job. Sharp eyes will notice an inline blade fuse on the lower left. That is the fuse for the fuel pump. Scares me that it has a 30 amp fuse...

fuse.jpg

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looks like the instrument cluster in you Spider isn't the original one!

·
Registered
860 Posts
The 30 amp fuse could have been for AC, but with the mess you have no telling. Get a wiring diagram from PapaJam and good luck.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Ditto on the blower motor...would also have a look at the rubber grommets on the firewall / bulkhead, where cables and speedo cable pass through...if these perish, they can become a point of water ingress...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts