Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a '74 parts car in the morning.
It's a parts car due to rust in the floor and sill.
I have not seen it yet, only pics.
Seller says parts car but since it's complete and running I wonder if it should replace my '78 as the restoration project?

The '78 I have runs if I put the Delloro's back on but has Bondo liberally applied to most of the body.

The '74 has an improperly repaired floor and at least one rusted out sill.
I recall reading that the sills are a pain to fix properly.

The original plan was to strip the '74 for bumpers, grill, etc to back-date the '78.
But now that I know the '78 nose is full of Bondo and some radiator ducting metal has been removed, not sure what to do.

Hoping my course becomes clear once I get the '74 home.
'74 is still running on SPICA, of which I am not a fan.

Whatever I decide it looks like I will be offering up some parts as I really cannot justify having so many major components laying about.
Will probably be more interested in trades for what I still need than cash.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
With evidence of rust in the sill/rocker panels, you need to be prepared for the worst. If not doing the work yourself, rusted out inner rockers usually makes it not economically repairable.

Do a search on rusted inner rockers. Lots of previous threads on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
With evidence of rust in the sill/rocker panels, you need to be prepared for the worst. If not doing the work yourself, rusted out inner rockers usually makes it not economically repairable.
I'll second what Roadtrip wrote. Was 1974 the last year of shiny bumpers? If so, sure that adds to the value. But in general, squaretail spiders just haven't appreciated the way roundtails, GTV's, and Supers have.

A lot depends on who will be doing the metalwork. If you pay a professional shop to do the work properly, you will certainly be underwater. If you do the work yourself, maybe you will be about even (counting your time at $ zero).

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The later spiders have 3 rocker panels, inner, middle, and outer. I would assume the earlier Spiders are the same. This gives rust more places to do it's worst and complicates your "proper repair".

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The joys of Craigslist.
I will be mixing and matching parts with the '78.

It is a '74 and it is beyond rational restoration.
Disappointed that the front bumpers are not a bit better.
Hoping they can be repaired, and the corner lights do appear to be excellent.
Grill surround is broken but the slats look good.
I probably paid more than I should have but I despise the rubber baby buggy type oversize/overweight bumpers.

The white soft top looks to be very good.
Doors may go onto the '78.
Bonnet and boot look good.
I may use some of the nose to repair the '78.

Don't really need another complete drivetrain and am not a fan of SPICA so will be having mechanical and some body parts to sell.
Will have to get fuel to the engine in order to see how well it runs, also do a compression check.
Stock wheels are not being kept as I have a set of nice RONAL basketweave type on the '78.

Will be better able to assess what I've done to myself in the morning.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
My vote would be to find a rust free car to start with. Parts cars are great, but they are for parts. Years ago I did a Karman Ghia convert rust out, these days I would never attempt such a project. Given the numbers of spiders made over the years, in my opinion there are enough examples out there to find a decent one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Despite shredding a truck tire on the trip I did get the '74.
Too rusted in the sills to fix.

Now listing several parts from it and a few others I have laying around on the Alfa parts for sale thread.
Pics there too.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Richard, I'd say look at the Series 1. Just a few years ago, these were disposed of when an owner faced your predicament. Today, with completely restored ones selling in the $30k+ territory, the same condition of your 74 would make any S1 an ideal candidate for restoration. With the S1 getting out of reach of an average Alfisti the attention is being turned to an early S2 (71-74). Of course, in Europe the steel bumpers continued all the way to Series 3, but the 74 was the last of its type in the US. You see more and more restored early S2 cars popping up and $15k for one is no longer a crazy price point. The way things are progressing, the Spiders are continuing their climb up the price ladder... So it all boils down to what your long range plans are. I'd only consider a long term resto if you intend to keep the 74 "forever". Doing so now would be "hedging" against the future value....

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not only are the sills badly rusted but the wire harness has been chopped to pieces.
I will use the bumpers to back-date my '78.
Lots of small bits I will keep as spares.

Not too worried about resale value as I expect to keep this one until I'm too feeble to drive.
I've made the mistake of selling many now overpriced Alfa's in the past which I cannot replace.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts