Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im the owner of a 1972 Gulia GTV 2000, up untill now i have had very few problems with the car and it has never produced any smoke of any kind, but recently and within a shot space of time the car has started producing a lot of white smoke. the car does not produce smoke from start up and only starts producing smoke after it has been running for about 5-7 minutes, and the smoking then stops gradually as the car warms up to optimal running temperature, has any one els had this problem and does any one know what the problem may be so i can fix this, the car also starts, idles and runs well from cold and hot and i hav'nt noticed a drop in power so far.

please help me:eek:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hi, white smoke after getting warm would normally mean a blown head gasket, but you say it stops as it gets even warmer ?

Are you using water ?

The only other thing I've come across which gives similar symptoms is brake fluid getting out of a servo and being pulled into the inlet to burn off as white smoke, but again, you say it stops as the engine gets hot ?

Very strange.

Check to see if you're using brake fluid, or water and come bvack to us,
Steve
GTA R

·
Registered
133 Posts
... brake fluid getting out of a servo and being pulled into the inlet to burn off as white smoke
I'm betting on this. Pull the vacuum hose off your brake booster, and carefully dip inside and downwards with a bit of wire (don't puncture the rubber!). If it comes up wet, the seals have failed and you're sucking brake fluid into the intake.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Check to see if you're using brake fluid, or water and come back to us
Yup, that's what to do. It's burning something - the first question is what it is. If it's brake fluid, you will notice that the level of the rear reservoir is down, while the front is unaffected - that one is easy to diagnose. Oil and water are a bit harder, since the engine contains larger volumes of those two - you'll need to burn more before the levels drop. But eventually, the loss will be noticable.

If it's oil, your problem could be broken/worn rings, worn valve seals, or the head gasket. If it's water, it's probably the head gasket.

the car does not produce smoke from start up and only starts producing smoke after it has been running for about 5-7 minutes, and the smoking then stops gradually as the car warms up
I'm sorry, I can't make sense of what sort of a leak would produce those symptoms. I suppose my best suggestion would be simply to never let your car cool down. :D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
This could also be a cracked cylinder head. Coolant getting thru into one cylinder. Check your spark plugs for clues. Had this happen to me on a 2L head on a Berlina.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts