Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I left the parking lot from work, I noticed plumes of smoke coming from the steering column!! The right turn signal was still engaged(will explain). THe smoke definitely had and electric short smell. I turned the signal off, the smoke dissipated and continued home on my merry way. Use of the turn signal worked fine after that with no smoke.

My turn signal never returns automatically, and I need to manually return it. It's been like that for the years I've owned it. I've forgotten to return it many times for quite lengthy periods, but it never smoked before. I knew it was the return spring, but never thought that it was worth the effort to fix.

Pulled the shroud and saw the detached spring and I am guessing it moved close to the wires to cause the short. But what is the correct routing of the spring if I want to attempt to reconnect it? BTW, the previous owner made his own steering wheel boss(?), so that's why it looks like it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes, I had something very similar, on a very spirited organised road run, we always travel with lights on, to ID the pack. Halfway through I had smoke coming out of the column. Turned the lights off, it stopped.

Found loose spring, and a shed load of burnt dust/fluff/grease in the mechanism.

A good reason to bypass the electrical load via remote relays, just use the stalks for low current switching signal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me; red-hot spring syndrome.
I've never bothered to fix it, but am looking into making the indicators noisier to avoid confusing other drivers with forgotten indicator flashing away. I've bought a sub-miniature loudspeaker, which I plan to wire across the flasher-relay perhaps with a 100 ohm resistor to see if clicks nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also have a non returning signal lever and would love to know the correct routing of the spring.
My spring wraps round the steering post one and a half times but rubs on the plastic part of the indicator switch. I reversed the spring winding to see if it helped and in the process cause a short and burnt my fingers :-( ……and it did not remedy the non returning switch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That is useful. on My Gt Jr there is a large spring slipped over the steering rod below the steering wheel. The indicator return spring wraps round just below it and gets pushed onto the plastic part of the stalk mechanism hence why it struggles to return (Will try to upload a picture later).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response. I like the idea of wiring in the speaker. So the smoking is being caused by the loose spring? Kind of weird since the spring has been loose for close to 5 years. Maybe its just made its way to a new area. It hasn't smoked since I took the shroud off, and I can't seem to create the smoke on demand. But I am going to try to hook up the broken spring, and add some sort of insulating sleeve under it and see what happens.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shadetree, is the insulating sleeve hard plastic so the spring slides easily over it? Or is it soft rubber so it grips the column and spring? I used a short section of clear plastic tubing that I had laying around the house. It's working and the lever is returning on its own, but it does grip the spring. I was able to rescue the old spring.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bit of confusion thrown in with the link in green 69's post. Quite clearly the linked post mentions the return spring running bare over the steering column, even roughing up the column for better sticktion. But Shadetree's post shows an insulating sleeve in the mix. Well whatever the right fix is, mine is working with a clear plastic tube over the column. It is so odd to see the turn signal lever returning on its own.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sorry, my intent was not to confuse matters, but to point you to a variety of reasons for why one might get smoke from the column, in case your strategy didn't work. Glad to hear that it did.

·
Registered
959 Posts
This thread is a bit dated and others I found were as well. My question is: Is there anyone out there that I can buy, beg, borrow or steal a turn signal return spring from? I carelessly stretched mine reinstalling it. I will call Larry if I have no other options. TIA DB

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
The British car owners have a joke about this kind of problem. The need to buy a 'can of smoke' to refill the offending part.

JR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts