Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '73 Spider USA 2000 for a couple of months now. Sorted out ignition first, some electrical, shorts, etc. I can drive after dark now!
Anyway, during a high speed test run Saturday, thought I blew the water pump. Pulled over, saw typical excessive coolant leaking, belt not turning to water pump. Decided to limp home five miles or until overheated. Made it home, hot but not overheating. After cool down, noticed not that low on coolant, hmmm? Kept looking. Looks like aftermarket A/C system, double pulley on crankshft, but only forward pulley with a belt to A/C only. Double pulley on A/C with second belt driving water pump and alternator. That seems odd to me. Anyway, found the a/c tensioner pulley still in the engine bay, off its spindle, bearings all gone.
Now the wate pump looks okay to me.
Questions:
1. Where did all the coolant come from when I first looked at it?
2. I just want to remove the a/c and put the alternator back where it should be. Can I just remove the bolt to the mounting bracket and put it back in the block? No problem, right.
3. Can I just leave the double pulley on the crankshaft and just use the aft, closest to the engine, pulley for the new belt? crank-water pump-alternator.
bad pulley.jpg
failed ac tension pulley.jpg
bad pulley bracket.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removed A/C

First went to nearby garage to have any old freon removed. It was completely empty. Then at home took much of old Behr(?) A/C system out last evening. The thing weighs a ton... I could swear it was more than 32 lbs, but I weighed it anyway.
old ac.jpg

heavy beast.jpg

So the next issue is the old double crankshaft pulley. I was just going to leave it as is, and use the one pulley closest to the engine, but there isn't enough room between the forward-most pulley and the sway bar. About 1/4 inch. So, not only can't I get the old belt off (without cutting it), I won't be able to get the new v-belt on.
doulbe pulley.jpg

Looks like I'll have to work at getting the big a** crank nut off, which according to all the old posts I've read, is a bear to get off.

Questions:
1. Do you think that double pulley is really just two single pulleys stacked next to each other, so I can toss the extra one. Or, do I have to buy a new single pulley. They look to be $200 each, wow.

2. I think that nut is 38mm, but all the posts say 36. I'll buy a socket later today.

3. See following picture. Two forward-most bolts on headers 1 and 2 were really bolts used for the bracket of the old a/c system. So they are too long to fit back in, but also bolts aren't correct. But can I install manifold studs now, without removing the headers? I wouldn't be able to tighten them. I may just have to live with bolts in there for now.
manifold studs.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, you can see in my last picture that there was a radiator in front of my radiator. Getting rid of that should help.:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
A bit of a guess here (been a long time since I had a Spider) but your motor mounts have probably sagged over time. That would explain the lack of clearance between the pulley and the sway bar. You might try jacking up the motor a tad to get enough clearance to get the belt on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,
That's a great idea!!! I didn't think of that.
I'll let you know, I should be able to get some work done this weekend.
I've been thinking about taking that big crank nut off though, and getting a single pulley back in there. But I think I'll try your trick first and jack the motor up just another 1/4 inch, and I might be in business. Thanks for a really good idea.
Bill

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good progress this weekend. BTW John, I first tried to jack the engine to gain some clearance for v-belt. Though the engine mounts are sagged, didn't really move things much.
Just as well, I was able to get the crank nut off, it took some of Friday evening and part of Saturday. (Much thanks to an older thread on that topic.) I was really being cautious in hind sight, I felt like I was going to bust something. Anyway, WD-40, heat, thumping the starter, waiting, letting it soak in more WD-40, finally a 5 foot pipe on my breaker bar did it. I took out all the tension on the nut with most of my strength on a steady pull, and then just popped it for all it was worth, and it gave.
BTW one of my questions was the nut size, seems like the threads said 36mm, I really couldn't find any info in any of Brandon's books or my manuals, but my nut is indeed 38mm. And it is a nut, but it looked like a bolt to me because I hadn't done a crankshaft nut before.
crank nut.jpg

And another question was whether this could just be two single pulleys stacked next to each other. I was able to wedge a couple of screwdrivers between the two and remove the outer pulley. That's great. Not only don't I not have to buy a single pulley, but the nut and washer was also reusable, and now I can get the v-belt on.
extra crank pulley.jpg

Of note, the two pulleys were locked together with four roll pins. If you see those, that would be a good indication that it is two separate pulleys.
single crank pulley w roll pins.jpg

I think the trick to getting more feedback on questions is to put the question in the title part of the post. I'm new at this. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts