Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfistis. I want to buy an Alfa car but I'm wary.
I'm trying to do some due dilligence before I commit to joining your ilk ;)

I live in Los Angeles. I recently unearthed a 1978 1.8 Alfetta that's never been registered here in the USA. It's a European spec car so it zero US emissions stuff. No Cats, etc. This car is charming and I am def falling for it but it's not exactly a '71 2000 Berlina so I would be buying it just to tool around town in.

WIll it be even possible to get this to pass a Cali SMOG test?
If so, what kind of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
I'm assuming that has carbs, which doesn't help things.

You've got two big issues here: never registered in the US, and passing smog. Trust me when I say that neither one is something you want to deal with in California. Unless you're willing to do something convoluted and probably illegal, suggest walking away.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
You've got two big issues here: never registered in the US, and passing smog. Trust me when I say that neither one is something you want to deal with in California. Unless you're willing to do something convoluted and probably illegal, suggest walking away.
I agree. Since it's a model never sold in the US, it wouldn't even be in the smog inspectors' database.

Just out of curiosity, where is it registered currently? I could believe that it's getting by with something like Montana or Alabama tags.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I agree with Gubi. There are plenty of California registered Alfetta sedans that you can buy and not have to deal with the federales or the Kalifornia DMV demons.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
Well honestly if you want a 116 series car in CA, I'd strongly suggest getting a Milano or a GTV-6 instead of an Alfetta. You get more power, generally fewer rust issues, and a much easier time passing smog.

Alfettas are cool cars, but living in CA I've sworn off owning any car that needs to pass smog and doesn't have electronic fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
1. Issue with Feds - If it was brought over on foreign plates by the current owner to use here, then you may have a chance to "legally import" it from him. It is more than 25 years old, so there is no restrictions, but the Feds will want to make sure that they get their proper duties. If it was brought over by "someone" and there are no import documents - sorry walk away.

2. Bigger issue - CARB will not allow you to register this car because you will not be able to get a smog cert. it is post 1975, so all the 1978 regulations apply. Of course you could "update" it with all the smog equipment out of a later car, then go through the BAR referee to get a sticker. Reasonably possible with a donor Bosch spider or the like. Don't forget the evaporative emissions equipment as well as the cats, fuel injection, etc.

3. You could move to Florida.

I'd recommend not paying more for this than what a parts car would be worth. It is likely to be a headache.

mark

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I'll take it Vermont doesn't care! California is anal, How many of these cars are left from the seventys? Cali's got to lighten up. Restricting 40 year old cars is just plain STUPID.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Restricting 40 year old cars is just plain STUPID.
Stupid if your concern is air quality, yes. But brilliant from a political perspective. Jerry can claim to be saving our children's lungs - do you think the average voter would oppose that?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This is that white ex-Israel car right? The problem is that these series two sedans are not worth a huge amount in Europe or elsewhere, even one with low-ish k's and a good history. A series one, from '74, is more desirable and worth more. Take that on board and with the registration issues mentioned above the price you'd want to pay would have to be pretty low here in the US to make sense.

Which all goes against the grain with me personally as these are indeed really sweet cars to drive. Much nice than the later 2 litre bodied ones. But such is life.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If it's the car Aggie is talking about, it has been up for sale for quite some time. I saw the car at the last France Italy show in Woodley Park but did pay particular attention to it since I am not in the market. This is not the car that's worth the headache. California is Ansley beyond reason when it comes to smog laws - you will need to pass visual and emissions test. I had a 79 Spider with twin side drafts that could not be registered in California legally because it would fail the visual, as well as emissions. You want fun? Take the above advice and buy a car already registered here. Of course, the other option would go pre -76 to avoid emissions altogether. There's an Alfetta Sedan being offered on the east coast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Alfetta

Hello Alfistis. I want to buy an Alfa car but I'm wary.
I'm trying to do some due dilligence before I commit to joining your ilk ;)

I live in Los Angeles. I recently unearthed a 1978 1.8 Alfetta that's never been registered here in the USA. It's a European spec car so it zero US emissions stuff. No Cats, etc. This car is charming and I am def falling for it but it's not exactly a '71 2000 Berlina so I would be buying it just to tool around town in.

WIll it be even possible to get this to pass a Cali SMOG test?
If so, what kind of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks for your help.
Hi: If you decide you can live with a coupe and not a sedan, let me know. I have one Alfetta Coupe registered as a 1975 in CA, hence smog exempt. Needs work but engine runs. Minimal rust, no accidents.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'll take it Vermont doesn't care! California is anal, How many of these cars are left from the seventys? Cali's got to lighten up. Restricting 40 year old cars is just plain STUPID.
Ditto!

·
Registered
293 Posts
You do not actually have to take it to Vermont.
Get a bill of sale from somebody to you and send the paperwork to Vermont.
No title needed, no VIN inspection needed and nothing has to be notarized.
Pay 6% of the NADA low book plus 70.-- for plates and registration for one year.
You will have VT registration with CA address which can be transferred to any other states except of course Kahlifonia, but who cares. I always enjoy when the stupid greedy CA DMV gets screwed out of money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts