Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am planning to reconnect the smog pump/air pump on my 1978 alfetta sport sedan (tinkering project in advance of emissions testing).

Questions:

- Can you install the belt without removing the pump or pulley? Its tight upon a test fit and I don't want to force it if that's a bad idea.

- Are there any downside risks to having it connected (besides possible power loss and pump noise)? Can it damage the spica pump if it seizes or anything like that since it is driven off the Spica pulley?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I had a customer 25 years ago. That kept breaking the injection pump belt intermittently. It finally turned out the air pump was locking up at random times and breaking the injection pump belt instead of breaking the air pump belt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a customer 25 years ago. That kept breaking the injection pump belt intermittently. It finally turned out the air pump was locking up at random times and breaking the injection pump belt instead of breaking the air pump belt.
thanks Jim - good to know. I’d hate to break down in some remote location over this.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
We ran our 78 sedan without the air pump, etc, for 180k miles, and it always passed the Washington State tests with complete ease. Turned out the car was quite clean even without that stuff according to the staff. However, if the state you are in does require seeing that equipment, and still unreasonably smog checks that old a car, then yes, I suppose you should have it. I sure wouldn't if I didn't have to. Just something more to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
" am planning to reconnect the smog pump/air pump on my 1978 alfetta sport sedan (tinkering project in advance of emissions testing)."
Short answer, if you haven't already figured it out, install the long bolt only and the thing will rotate inward so that you have plenty of slack in the belt.
Long answer: my air pump sounded bad so I had it rebuilt locally. That took only a few hours but lots of $$. On the GT and my not OEM radiator fan being real close to the pump pully I had to remove the radiator because my fumble fingers could not blindly slip the belt on otherwise. And I had to remove the 2 FI pump soft lines because I could not snake the pump down past the FI pump. No big deal. Then easy install of the belt and the other bolt.
re: the smog benefit of that pump: I only have 2 of the 4 exhaust manifold pump connections on my 2 pc euro headers, the 2 center ones only align. The car passes smog every time.
BUT with Covid restrictions I have not gotten my April smog test done, yet. So I paid my Calif tag fees and keep the receipt in the car in case I get pulled over in May for expired tags. I hope I can get the car to a smog station so that I can remove that pump and manifold till I need them again in 2022.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Back in the day. We used to gut the inside of the pump making it basically turning it into an idler pulley. Also blocked off the hoses inside of the hoses. The cars would still pass emission with ease.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@sidewaysalfa thank you. Pump has remained installed, so it’s just the belt that needs to be popped on. Possible without loosening the mounts? I don’t want to take the pump off yet. I was going to keep it on if it didn’t sap too much power, but sounds like there are some downside risks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Follow up, final installation of radiator, etc.
The darn coolant metal "U" pipe does not clear the smog pump pully. The 180 bend is right up against the metal pully, I don't remember this before. . .
So I gently tied the metal pipe to the non oem radiator fan which keeps the pipe away from the pully. I'll only need this till I can find a garage that still does smog on ancient 1976 cars. But first I need a quick tune up, but Santos Italian Cars is sort of on Covid Vacation. I will have to beg my in to the shop next week.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Can't believe Cal still smog checks very old pretty rare cars, lol. Shall we say paranoid?

·
Registered
164 Posts
California is one of the only states that require smog tests for 1976 cars. Just got my 1976 Alfetta Gt done and it passed once again. This over the top one party Marxist state run by the left wing of the Democrat party is the result of what is still happening here......

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Not sure if it has anything to do with that. Bureaucrats exist in all parties. It's just their way of doing things. They just love making and enforcing rules regardless, lol.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, let’s not get carried away here with politics. I’d prefer to focus on the cars.

I’m actually kind of interested in seeing how clean I can get this car to run with this equipment so long as there are no giant downsides. The exhaust smells up the cabin now and if I can get rid of that problem while simultaneously keeping pollution out of the air, why not?

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Never had a problem with our 78 sedan, even after the air pump just fell off one day in the driveway, but luckily I was there to catch it in time before it hit the ground, lol. The car always passed the WA State requirements, the shop people asking if the car was actually running, ha. One clean car, registering almost nothing. They never checked for any components missing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts