Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I saw one of these for the first time. An officer and a team of vans and foldable tables and tents with a dyno on the roadside in my Bay Area town of Concord, CA. It was around noon today. I pulled over at a distance and watched for a while. They did not seem to target any older looking cars. I saw a couple of older pickup trucks go by and they waved them by. They stopped a Honda Accord and a Toyota van, both seemed early 2000s.

I did a search on the internet for maybe someone reporting these and even downloaded an app, but it did not show anything. They were gone by 2:30 pm. There were some topics from years past about them doing it just to get a snapshot of the compliance in an area and no citations, but I find that hard to believe. If they have you there and there is a problem, then you have a problem, I'm guessing.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
I just searched on this: apparently unlike DUI checkpoints these are completely voluntary and there’s no penaltly for refusing to participate.

I’m willing to bet they do their best not to make that clear to you, though.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The BAR website also says it's voluntary and another website says it might be a good idea to print this out and have it in the car, as the officers will probably act like they haven't heard it. But since the BAR officials are the ones you deal with after the cop directs you over to them, maybe you could whip this out and show them. As is always the case, never argue with the cop.

https://bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Roadside_Inspection_Program.html

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Haven't seen any of these anywhere. We in Washington state used to have roadside DWI checks, but they were ruled unconstitutional (no probable cause), so no more of those. Now they are getting rid of the smog checks as well, as almost no cars fail these days (they waited until our Alfas were past the 25 year cutoff, lol).

The only other roadside type checks I've seen in the past were the old California banned fruit checks, and the Border Agent checks in Texas, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts