Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back for Continental Motors after I got some work done to pass smog. I smell gas fumes off and on with top or down. The spider never had this smell before. I had a value adjustment and a new cat. No smell in engine compartment or fuel dripping. I looked under the car and no dripping from the fuel pump and filter.

Any ideals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,652 Posts
Is it a raw gas odor or rich exhaust odor?

If raw gas and no visible leaks check the top of the tank. The fuel gauge sender/outlet pipe fitting is screwed to the top of the tank with a gasket for sealing. There are two hoses - supply & return. And check the fuel filler hose, too.

If its a rich exhaust odor check for leaks (loose joints, or cracked, rusted pipes, etc) And make sure the end of the exhaust pipe extends a little distance beyond the end of the rear bumper. A short extension aimed down might help.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I get raw gas smell after filling the tank. It goes away after a while but assume it is the filler tube. It is one more thing on the "to do" list....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For sure it is not the exhaust. I will check out the tank next. The little area where the jack goes there are some evap type of equipment?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes, there is a thread somewhere that explains how to check that evap canister and all those hoses for proper operation. If I dont find an issue at the filler neck that is my next area..... this is low on my priority list though!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there is a thread somewhere that explains how to check that evap canister and all those hoses for proper operation. If I dont find an issue at the filler neck that is my next area..... this is low on my priority list though!
Last night when I was driving home from work I start smelling the gas fumes at low speed 25 mph. I pulled off the road and checked the engine compartment and fuel pump area under the car. No signs of a leak. I open the little door where the evap canister is in the trunk and had a slight smell of fuel. Next step is to fine the thread for evap and exams the system.

·
Administrator
16,652 Posts
Note the one-way valve and air inlet valve ( #2 & #3) in the diagram posted above. They can get gummed up internally and prevent the vapor recovery system from proper operation.

Remove them and squirt some carb cleaner into them, shake, rinse & repeat. This will usually clean them out and allow proper operation. Note the orientation of the one-way valve and be sure to replace correctly. I would also probe the inlet to the canister to be sure it is not plugged up. Use a thin piece of wire - the orifice is rather small as I recall.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Last night when I was driving home from work I start smelling the gas fumes at low speed 25 mph....Next step is to fine the thread for evap and exams the system.
next time you go for a drive (a few miles at least), stop and open the gas filler cap....is there a vacuum or excess pressure? (ie. does air gets sucked in or blown out)

you say you never had gas fumes before and now after a new cat and smog work you suddenly do....what did they mess about with to get it past smog?...that would be my question to them!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
next time you go for a drive (a few miles at least), stop and open the gas filler cap....is there a vacuum or excess pressure? (ie. does air gets sucked in or blown out)

you say you never had gas fumes before and now after a new cat and smog work you suddenly do....what did they mess about with to get it past smog?...that would be my question to them!
As far as I know he disconnect the tubing to get the value cover off. I have looked at a couple of time and all looks good. When I was on the road and smelled the fumes, I pulled off and open the hood and did not smell any fuel. As soon as I get done with my honeydews i am going investigate more. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I took the spider out for a ten mile ride. As I accelerated going up the freeway on ramp I could smell the flumes. While on the freeway no smells. Got off the freeway and looped around to get back on the freeway and again accelerating up hill on the on ramp I could smell the fumes again.
Pull back into the garage and open the gas cap and there was really not to hear or any signs of a vacuum force.
I pulled up the carpet and the fuel pump top had moisture around the whole pump. Stuck my finger in it and Yes it was wet with gas. I will be ordering new gasket.

A picture tells 1000 words

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
looking at that photo, I just wonder if it is not the hose that has a slight split?....the hose looks quite wet around the clamp.
just something to check

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered an rubber gasket from Vicks and I will install this weekend. At that time I will inspect the gas hose. If split I can cut it down or replace from the local out part store. Ghnl thank you seem to hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will probably want to replace the rubber line that attaches to the sender with new line from your local parts store. Make sure and get the correct size and rating. If its split on the end, likely the rest of it is not very good shape inside and breaking down. This is probably what leaked down to the sender rather than the gasket but it wont hurt to repalce both at once.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had gas smell,replaced fuel lines,capped a cracked line to nowhere in the trunk,but the fix was a 1/8" line from the cam cover to the firewall.It was fabric covered but I replaced it with a rubber vacuum line . It wasn't cracked but just fit loosely on the barb at the firewall. FIXED!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The weekend is here and I had sometime to focus on my Spider. I had ordered a rubber donut gasket for the in tank fuel pump. I started to remove the first screw and it was loose. I check all the 5 other screws and they were all loose. If I would guess they were torque down to 5 pounds or less. I tightened them up to about 10 pounds or so.

Good news I took a very spirited drive on the Skyline HYW 35 thought the coastal mountains. Sorry no driving videos had to keep both hands on the wheel. In fact there was a new Mercedes E 400 estate on my bumper the whole time. The Mer push the spider to it limits at times.

Best news, the repair worked! My favorite type of repair. :)

Another great ending to a Alfa Romeo story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts