Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many of the posts about creating more space for taller drivers. I am just 6 foot even. But even with the seat all the way back, my legs are cramped.

My seat literally goes all the way back. And with the seat reclined there is no where else back to go.

1. I am looking at the smaller Sport steering wheel IAP sells. I like the modern look.

2. Was there a way to move the travel of the stick shift over to the right more? Second gear is to close to my leg.

3. Buy/modify the pedals.

I found these pics from a Lotus Elise. Is there something I can buy to replace the ones I have? I like the smaller gas pedal. I see where others have made one. But I don't like the look.

The other pedals are small but they have the ridges in them for traction. The rubber pedal cover we have make it to big for wider feet/shoes.

Thoughts on where to buy replacement pedals?

LotusFootPedals.jpg

LotusFootPedals1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
2. Was there a way to move the travel of the stick shift over to the right more? Second gear is to close to my leg.
The gearshift lever is attached to the transmission with a pinch bolt. Loosen that bolt and you can rotate the lever toward the right. Easy, huh?

Well, maybe not. If your spider is a '71 or later then it has a console. If you rotate the gear lever on a car with a console it will probably hit the right side of the cut-out in 5th and reverse. So if you want to move the lever very far, you may have to modify the console, do without a boot, bend the lever, or ...

. Buy/modify the pedals.
I haven't tried this, but I'm guessing it would be far easier to weld smaller pads onto the stock Alfa pedals than to try to substitute a completely different pedal assembly. E.g., modify-yes, buy-no.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the clutch and brake pedals, I was thinking of cutting the rubber out of the pedal to match the size of the metal. That would reduce the width of the pedal a bit. I would have to figure out how to mount them. Drill two holes through the rubber and metal and bolt it on?

I like this look. But don't know how to modify/mount them.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
For the clutch and brake pedals, I was thinking of cutting the rubber out of the pedal to match the size of the metal. That would reduce the width of the pedal a bit. I would have to figure out how to mount them. Drill two holes through the rubber and metal and bolt it on?
I think that's a good idea. You could take it a step farther and grind the metal pads on the brake and clutch pedals narrower. Then cut down the rubber pads to match that width and secure the pads with flathead screws (as gmilke suggested) or even pop rivets.

I guess you could bolt Momo pedal pads on top of narrowed Alfa pedals, but that would probably end up shifting the pedal surfaces back toward the driver, decreasing legroom.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
On the parcel shelf remove the bar across the front and rebuild the self so it does not overlap the vertical bulkhead. You will be able to move the seat back another inch and recline more. If you rebuild with plywood you will not need the bar across the front.

Order the 360mm Steering Wheel Sportivo from centerline with the hub that moves the wheel three inches closer to you. Then you'll be able to get your knees behind the wheel and the stick shift problem will be no more.

I too am tall with a 13 shoe and was about to give up on trying to enjoy a car I really did not fit in to. Now it's perfecto!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts