Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
What does this mean: the relief valve normally doesn't do anything, until you neglect changing the oil and filter, or some other **** finds its way in the engine.
Wrong, it does. It opens not just when the filter media is plugged, but at other times such as cold starts when the oil is cold and pressure drop is high. Also opens at full throttle/high revs to prevent oil starvation.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Any other smaller oil filters that you can change without removing the air filter housing to be added to this thread?

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Great Tread, is the reduced capacity of a smaller filter any concern?

Have seen several Alfa race cars filter's vibrate loose too, I put a safety wire on mine.

Side question, is hand tight really tight enough?
Hi Murray,

Hope all is well.

On average, the most mileage that I put on my Alfa a year might be 2k - probably even less than that.

I do an oil change once a year, usually in the spring.

Since I put on very little mileage, the concern for using a smaller filter to me is not an issue.

I asked my local mechanic today about how tight the oil filter needs to be and he said "hand tight".

Thanks

Registered

Registered
To the original question, some years back Alfa specified a smaller diameter OEM filter that replaced the original, and was much easier to deal with. I have one on my Spider now, matter of fact, and it's 100% bottom access. But the Baldwin filter you have, lgbalfa, is a top quality product.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
To the original question, some years back Alfa specified a smaller diameter OEM filter that replaced the original, and was much easier to deal with. I have one on my Spider now, matter of fact, and it's 100% bottom access. But the Baldwin filter you have, lgbalfa, is a top quality product.
Thanks for the feedback

Who makes your filter?

I am very happy with Baldwin / Hastings. Easy access through the bottom.

Thanks

Registered

Please share, what brand and model number. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
When I bought my Spider, it came with an OE filter which I looked up and realized was the wrong part number for my car, but was for another Alfa. Perhaps the 164 or Spider, as nothing else was sold here at the time.

I looked on autodoc.co.uk which nicely lists dimensions on all compatible parts. Of the ones we can buy in the US, the Mann W920/21 seems to have the lowest height. You can even select the filter with the lowest height, but we can't get most of those brands here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts